• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Panasonic DMR-HWT130 problem

beachmat

Novice Member
I'm having a problem with my Panasonic DMR-HWT130 which is that when I delete recorded programmes, only about 50-60% of the duration is made available, so deleting a 1 hour HD programme will only make about 30-40 minutes available on deletion. I've asked Panasonic support and they suggested doing a factory reset, and if that doesn't help, to take it to a Panasonic dealer for repair. I may try doing a factory reset but doubt it will help, and I suspect it is a software problem rather than it being something wrong with this particular box. I was wondering if anyone else has one of these and can tell me if they have the same issue?

thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

There will be nothing wrong with the box.

There is no way any machine can accurately calculate how much time is left because it cannot possibly know what you will record next - and each programme will have a different data density per unit time, depending on which channel you record and some other variables.

So those 'time left' times are rough estimates only.
You may find you can still record a 1 hour programme.

I am surprised Panasonic support were not able to answer that satisfactorily.

Last edited:

beachmat

Novice Member
Thanks for that. I understand that the total time shown remaining may be an estimate. What I don't get is that the time made available by deleting a programme is never anywhere near the duration of it, as I say, usually around 60%. So presumably after some time the hard disk will end up being full with only a few programmes. I didn't have this problem with my previous PVR.

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks for that. I understand that the total time shown remaining may be an estimate. What I don't get is that the time made available by deleting a programme is never anywhere near the duration of it, as I say, usually around 60%. So presumably after some time the hard disk will end up being full with only a few programmes. I didn't have this problem with my previous PVR.

The time made available by deletion does not necessarily match the length of the programme you have deleted, for exactly the same reason I stated above.
Programmes of the same time length can use considerably different amounts of storage. There is no direct correlation between programme length and quantity of storage used.

In the long run it will have absolutely no impact whatsoever on the total storage you have available. You are not losing any storage capacity.

The 'time' you get back when deleting a programme will be calculated by using an average arbitrary estimation of anticipated television transmission data rates which in practice are very variable.
The likelihood is, that although you get only, say '40 minutes back,' you will be able to record an hour of 'typical' television within that '40 minutes' of storage.

That 40 minutes is the likely 'worst case scenario': The amount of 'time' (storage capacity).. that it would take to record a very high quality transmission which has very high data rates.

Most probably you would not have this problem with the previous PVR because it would be an SD only device. This is an HD device, so the data per unit time variance can be much greater.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom