Panasonic DMR HWT-230: New Channels Detection

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by DPinBucks, Feb 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,974
    I've had this unit since Christmas and overall am very pleased with it.

However, one thing is driving me mad. Every time I switch it on (and I mean every time), it tells me that it's found new Freeview channels and I have to Exit or OK. If I can be bothered (say half the time), I OK it, and then have to wait whilst it auto-tunes. But then it still comes up with the message next time. I have a Panasonic TV which also does this occasionally, quite legitimately.

Does anyone have ideas of what's going on? I suspect the unit is finding (or losing) channels at the edge of detectability, which it interprets as a valid change. It seems to find lots of channels at strength 1, whereas my main channels are 10.

The only guide I can find in the manual is to turn the auto-detect off, which I guess I could do. Is my idea about strength 1 channels feasible? Is there a way of telling it to ignore anything below say 5?

Thanks

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    Read page 68 of your user manual...turn off "New Channel message"
    The same setting is also available in the tuning menu on all Panasonic Freeview TVs.

3. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,974
    Thanks.

Yes, as I say, I could do that, and I will if there's no other option. I just wondered if there were any other way.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    The unit is finding other weaker signals from distant transmitters and that's why the new channels messages appear...the only way to get rid of the messages is to turn off the setting as I suggested and just do an autotune every few months if you think there are new legitimate channels added to Freeview.

5. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Or you could insert a bandpass filter in your aerial feed to the box. That should filter-out out-of-band channels, so that you could leave the new channels option on, so that 'real' new channels are still detected.

Clem

6. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,974
    Thanks to both. I've turned the auto-detect off, as JayCee suggests. It seems to have worked.

Clem: thanks for the suggestion, but to be honest it doesn't seem worthwhile to me. My TV is still detecting them more or less correctly, so I'll retune the other boxes when it flags something up.

7. hedrock

hedrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Many thanks for this useful thread. I too have been suffering from the same "New channels found" message and it was driving me to distraction. I've a PWT530 and following Jaycee's advice a quick whip-through the Set-up menu sorting things out. Great.

8. Raphael

Raphael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    These forums are great. I just acquired one of these units and the daily message was driving me crazy - thank you for the advice.