Panasonic DMR-HW100 Twin HD Tuner 320 GB PVR - Master Thread.

Well I had a look at the Panasonic support page last night and lo and behold, there was an update to donwload!!

I thought my wish had been answered, but unfortunately no, no guide update. Just something to do with VIERA connect again I think. Ho hum!

Hi All

I bought one of these towards the end of June from Argos for £169.99.

Positives
Easy to use
HD Channel picture quality
Prompts you if there is an HD broadcast alternative of a program you have chosen to record

Negatives
Sound and picture disappear in the guide
The overall design of the guide
Every time and I mean EVERY time I switch it on, it claims to have new channels to add. Surely this cannot be right?

On the whole I am impressed with it. The HD coverage of the Olympics has been very impressive and for that alone I am glad I got it.

Any ideas on its obsession of adding new channels? I am in the NW

Cheers

Dave

Every time and I mean EVERY time I switch it on, it claims to have new channels to add. Surely this cannot be right?

Any ideas on its obsession of adding new channels? I am in the NW

The message arises because the unit will be picking up other transmitters.

This fools the machine into thinking there are new channels available when in reality they are just duplicates of existing channels.

The simple remedy is to turn off the notification, which you can do in:

Functions / Setup / Tuning / New Channel Message.

Set it to OFF.

Thanks for the rear panel view.

The message arises because the unit will be picking up other transmitters.

This fools the machine into thinking there are new channels available when in reality they are just duplicates of existing channels.

The simple remedy is to turn off the notification, which you can do in:

Functions / Setup / Tuning / New Channel Message.

Set it to OFF.

Cheers Mate :thumbsup:

Thanks for the rear panel view.

You are welcome

and thank you for the explanation :smashin:

Just to let anyone know, the latest firmware update allows the TY-CC20W Skype cam to work with this PVR (Yay!).(previously it would only work with the TY-CC10W - which was obsolete due to being superseded!!).

Any other changes in the update are not easily spotted or noted.

Hope this is of help to those that needed this update (I was waiting .

The latest firware update allowed the TY-CC20W Skype cam to worj with this PVR (previously only the TY-CC10W would work - plus alternatives noted under the TY-CC10W thread).

Can't say I've spotted anything else that's obvious.

Has anyone tried to upgrade the HDD yet?

I think the power supply of my TVonics Freeview SD PVR has failed but it has a 500GB HDD so what I am thinking is to just swap Panasonic’s 320GB to 500GB HDD to have extra recording space.

Most important question is;

Has Panasonic software locked HDD upgrade?

With their DVD HDD recorders, whatever size HDD you put in, it wouldn’t recognize the extra space but I am hoping with this being only Freeview Recorder, not a DVD recorder, simple swap of HDD should hopefully work.

Any idea if it would?

Has anyone tried to upgrade the HDD yet?

I think the power supply of my TVonics Freeview SD PVR has failed but it has a 500GB HDD so what I am thinking is to just swap Panasonic’s 320GB to 500GB HDD to have extra recording space.

Most important question is;

Has Panasonic software locked HDD upgrade?

With their DVD HDD recorders, whatever size HDD you put in, it wouldn’t recognize the extra space but I am hoping with this being only Freeview Recorder, not a DVD recorder, simple swap of HDD should hopefully work.

Any idea if it would?

I would assume this to be the same as their DVDR's - and if so you would also need a copy on the install software.

The operation software is carried on a separate partition on the hard drive.

Also - given that different sized hard drives are used as price point differentiators it is to be expected that the size is software-locked in just the same way as on the DVDR's.

But if you do try it - please let us know the results.

I would assume this to be the same as their DVDR's - and if so you would also need a copy on the install software.

The operation software is carried on a separate partition on the hard drive.

Also - given that different sized hard drives are used as price point differentiators it is to be expected that the size is software-locked in just the same way as on the DVDR's.

But if you do try it - please let us know the results.

Thanks Gavtech very helpful as usual. I'll definitely try it but I need to watch about 50hrs of HD recordings that is already on HDD before trying to upgrade.

As soon as I catch up with these programmes I’ll swap it & report it back

Having said that to be honest, it is not to be expected that the size is software-locked in just the same way as on the DVDR's because I don’t know any other company that software lock their freeview PVRs.

If the customer is happy to pay the extra cost and buy a bigger HDD to upgrade, for the extra space or in the event of HDD failure, this should be allowed and be an easy operation.

This doesn’t seem to be the case with Panasonic recorders, as much as I like Panasonic recorders and their built quality, this software locking is the only reason I think twice before buying a Panny.

Hi
Has anyone else had trouble with this box only picking up some of the files on an external usb hdd? All the files it can see work ok but half are missing. Its a 160gb drive and i cant see any logic to for instance why the 1st 10 episode of dixv hawaii50 are there but not the rest

It is not unsupported fileformat issue as they were all ripped the same way and same file size (350mb)

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
after few years of working better i have got HDD error message and can't do anything in the recorder because i replace my HDD due to damage of the original WD320GB HDD.so how can i set up my new HDD to the recorder Panasonic DMR-HW100.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom