Panasonic DMR HS2 v Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Truffles, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Truffles

Truffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to splash out on a new home cinema/plasma system but cann't decide between the Panasonic DMR HS2 or Sky +with a Philips 890. One major consideration is that I would like to download from my digital cameras (still & video) to be saved on disc. Any constructive comments?:)

2. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For timeshifting, Sky+ will ALWAYS give you a far superior picture to ANY type of recorder because you are watching the original and not a recording. I've got a Pioneer DVR7000 recorder but I barely ever use it. Just get the Sky+ and stick a 120GB hard drive in it, the system may have it's flaws, but you cannot beat the unique recording=original broadcast data stream concept.

There's going to be a lot more DVD-R/HDD combos on the market over the next 12 months so if you can get by with Sky+ for the time being, you should be able to pick up something like the HS2 for under £500 very soon.

I'm afraid I don't know much about putting digital stills onto DVD via a DVD recorder, but Nero 5.5 does a pretty neat job with JPEG images onto a VCD.

Since having the DVR7000 I've still only got around to editing one DV tape to DVD-R! Having kids gives you something to film, but no time to blimming edit the tapes:(

Andrew_B