1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic dmr-hs2 ... tuner?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by infomatique, Jan 25, 2003.

1. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I almost purchasedthis unit today until I discovered that its tuner is UHF only. As I am based in Dublin and am limited to NTL cable VHF is a must ... it there a VHF/UHF version available or are there any other suitable options?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Surely the cable decoder connects to the tv with a scart?
    If that is your only program source the hs2 will record from it if connected by scart, you just don't have the option to record one channel will wathching another on terrestrial aerial. The source can loop through the recorder and onto the tv.

If you are only connecting your tv to the cable decoder box with an aerial rf cable you do realise you only have mono sound? THis rf signal can however be tuned into by the recorder, I just don't see why you would ever want to!

I can't believe anyything still requires a vhf tuner these days as who still transmits in black and white?

3. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for responding.

I am not talking about digital TV so there is no cable decoder.

Much of Europe uses VHF as well as UHF. If you check products such as the Philips DVDR1000 they usually come with UHF,VHF and HYPERBAND.

Irish TV uses System I, i.e. PAL colour with a 625 line standard with a 6MHz separation between the sound and vision signals. This is the same system as the UK but unlike the UK, VHF is used in addition to UHF. RTE One and Network Two are transmitted using a mix of UHF and VHF, but TG4 and TV3 are transmitted solely on UHF. For historic reasons people in Ireland also expect to be able to receive UK channels so we have a very extensive cable analogue TV distribution system ... almost everyone in urban Ireland subscribes to cable

Here in Ireland the cable companies convert UHV to UHF (and many who import equipment from NI or the rest of the UK get a surprise when it does not work here).

So why don't I import from Germany? Unfortunately we in Ireland use PAL I while most equipment available in Germany comes with PAL B/G.

Anyway, today I ordered a Philips HDR1000 Harddisk recorder which appears to meet my current requirements.

4. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well I didn't know and stand amazed!

I suppose all I can say is what a shame that most decent reasonably priced technology is almost certain to pass your country by, as it must be too small a market to get the devices built to suit.

Is the phillips machine a dvd recorder or vhs? How are they going to deal with the linear aspect of their recording technology? It seems crazy to use a system like that when random access is so much better, and more fficient.

6. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I already have a D-VHS and a DVD Recorder so what I require is a Hard Disk recorder which is why I decided to purchase the HDR1000 (a HD recorder with DVD playback).

I don't understand this bit of your comment