Panasonic DMR-HS2 repairable or RIP?

waz2004

Novice Member
My trusty old Panasonic DVD/HD recorder DMR-HS2 (must be over 8 years old) has been playing up for a few months. When switched on it goes in a loop like checking hard drive (the disc on display rotates) then shuts off. I keep switching it on hoping it will come on. It does sometimes. When it is on i leave it on. Silly daughter switched it off this morning aarrgghh. Now it is back in a loop. It gives off two beeps.

Thought the 40Gb hard drive may be faulty but doing a search it reveals it can be capacitors in the power supply that may be faulty. Anyone has any idea what to do?

No point in having it repaired by a shop due to costs involved and avaiabilty of part.

If only good for a door stop can anyone recommend a dvd/hd recorder for under £250 but am willing to go up to £300.

Thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
My trusty old Panasonic DVD/HD recorder DMR-HS2 (must be over 8 years old) has been playing up for a few months. When switched on it goes in a loop like checking hard drive (the disc on display rotates) then shuts off. I keep switching it on hoping it will come on. It does sometimes. When it is on i leave it on. Silly daughter switched it off this morning aarrgghh. Now it is back in a loop. It gives off two beeps.

Thought the 40Gb hard drive may be faulty but doing a search it reveals it can be capacitors in the power supply that may be faulty. Anyone has any idea what to do?

No point in having it repaired by a shop due to costs involved and avaiabilty of part.

If only good for a door stop can anyone recommend a dvd/hd recorder for under £250 but am willing to go up to £300.

Thanks
You could speculatively change the caps in the PSU if you are up to it yourself... and it may well work, but you've had good life out of it and maybe a job best done when you have the luxury of a new unit... which, incidentally, you will find considerably slicker and more able than you have been used to.

Consider the EX769 or the EX79. Details here.

waz2004

Novice Member
Left the dvd recorder unplugged over the weekend. Plugged it in today and it came on :clap::thumbsup:

Guess who is happy now :D

Took the remote control apart and cut out the 'OFF' button from the keypad so that no one can press the 'OFF' button. Plan to keep the dvd recorder switched on all the time.

Will keep an eye on the Panasonic Ex769 which seems a bit thin on the ground. Interested in the multi region version from Richer sounds.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Physical Discs?, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon
Top Bottom