Panasonic DMR-HS2 - Problem playing 16:9 Format DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by norderney, Jan 14, 2005.

1. norderney

norderney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a problem with my Panasonic DMR-HS2 or possibly the way it is connected to the rest of the system.

I recently bought a couple of music DVDs (Prom At The Palace & Diana Krall - Montreal Jazz Festival) which are in 16:9 Format. When I play these DVDs the picture keeps switching backwards and forwards between 16:9 and 4:3 constantly.

If I play a DVD in 4:3 Format it plays perfectly, but strangely if I play a DVD in Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 Format this will play perfectly as well. I only get the problem with 16:9 Format.

I have 4 bits of A/V kit connected to my TV:

Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD Recorder
    Sky Plus
    Echostar AD-3000IP Motorised satellite Receiver
    Panasonic NV-FJ710B VHS Video Recorder

This kit is connected to my Loewe Vitros TV via a Quintro RGB Scart Switch Box.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Andrew Smith

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the dvd contain alternate ratios and your tv is set to AUTO?If it plays ok on other discs there must be something on the discs that is changing it.You may need to manually leave your set on 16:9 for that dvd

3. norderney

norderney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The dvds do not appear to contain alternate ratios.

If I manually set the TV to 16:9 it makes no difference. As soon as I play ANY 16:9 Format DVD it starts switching constantly between 16:9 and 4:3. But as I said in my 1st posting Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 Format is ok.

I'm not sure why it is treating Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 Format differently to 16:9 Format. The TV allows has the following picture modes:
    16:9 4:3 Pan (Pan is just a variation on 4:3). The TV selects the 16:9 mode perfectly on for Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 Format disks.

4. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Do you still get the same problem if you connect the Panasonic DVD recorder direct to the TV via a SCART cable?

I have the HS2 and have never had any problems with the wide screen switching signal.

Is the wide screen switching fault only with the Panasonic?

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't know about your particular TV but on most if you set "wide" then it will stay in that format even if you play a 4:3 DVD. It does sound like you have some sort of auto mode on the TV especially if 2.35 plays ok.

Normally there would be two 16:9 modes "wide" and "zoom" (or similar words) to allow both anamorphic and letterbox pictures, it seems strange that yours doesn't.