1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-HS2: Dubbing Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Helenhyde, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Helenhyde

Helenhyde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a DMR-HS2 DVD recorder and, in spite of the AV professional reviews, I have found it difficult to use, although the problems may be linked to other equipment. Currently, my main problem is that when I try to dub from the hard drive to DVD-R disks or the DVD-RAM disk the recorder always over-rides whatever program I wish to watch on TV irrespective of the channel setting on the TV. I am sure that this should not happen. Has anybody got any suggestions?

I have a cable (Pace) box and a Panasonic VCR (NV-HS850B) attached as follows:

Antenna in: Cable box to VCR to DVD recorder to TV

Scart connections: DVD to TV

S-Video and RWY plugs: VCR to DVD recorder.

I have also tried other connections without success, as follows:

Antenna: as above

Scart: Cable box to VCR to DVD to TV

No S-Video or RWY.

Any help would be appreciated.

H R Hyde

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    That's due to Scart auto-switching. Your TV might have an option to disable this - alternatively you can cut Pin 8 on your Scart to stop it happening. What is pin 8 I hear you cry - have a look here.

Just a note on your setup - why not have:

Cable > AV2 HS2 and then AV1 > TV Ext1
    VCR Scart > TV Ext2
    Cable RF > VCR > TV

...that way you could set your Cable box to RGB (if it has this function) and record in the best possible quality.

3. Helenhyde

Helenhyde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Raczak: Thanks for your quick reply and the useful information. Unfortunately, the TV, a 1980s Bang & Olufsen, only boasts one scart but the other items each have two. The main purpose of the set-up was to transfer a collection of prized videos such as never-to-be repeated cartoons, sci-fi, etc to DVD. I don't expect to use the VCR for making new recordings. I will look up your other suggestion and see if it can be carried out without too much difficulty.

H.Hyde

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Oh I see - ignore my comments on the setup then.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you are only recording and wish to be able to see what you are doing, then revert to tv whilst the recording is in progress, pull the scart from the set, and use the rf connection to view the recorder when you need to. This will get over the scart autoswitching problem, and allow you to also see the recorder when required by selecting the new analogue channel after tuning it in.

6. Helenhyde

Helenhyde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Raczak and Kenfowler3966: Thank you for your advice. I opened the scart plug and released the wire to the No.8 pin, using tweezers, and the dubbing problem is solved. I had to do some re-tuning on the TV but everything seems OK. Removing the scart from time-to-time and then replacing it is an inconvenent solution because of the location of the sockets and furniture positions.

H.Hyde