Panasonic DMR-HS2 - curious fault

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bert Coules, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    My trusty Panasonic DMR-HS2 seems to have developed a curious fault when recording to DVD: on playback, the material occasionally seems to slow down and then fast-forward very briefly; then everything will be OK until the next instance, a few minutes later. As far as I can tell, the audio isn't affected, only the video. I've tried different makes of blank disc, but they all show the same effect.

The effect is still there when the recorded DVDs are played on another machine.

Edited to add: Further testing suggests that only material dubbed from videotape is affected, though the effect still happens if the signal is first recorded from the VCR onto the Panasonic's HDD and then transferred to DVD. This might, I suppose, be a clue to what's wrong...

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a known fault of this (and perhaps any other?) recorders? If so, is it fixable, or is the unit beyond help?

Many thanks,

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    A follow-up thought: could this fault (sudden momentary slow-down followed by a very brief fast-forward effect) be caused by a failure in the time base correction circuitry?

Bert

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Isn't it more likely that the vcr machine is varying in playback speed, and this is reflected in the recording?

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Ken,

Thanks for the thought; I'll check the playback of the VCR.

Edited to add:

Well, the VCR playback is fine. But here's a new bit of information: I've only been playing the recorded DVDs (and seeing the effect) on a separate player: it occured to me just now to check how they played back on the Panasonic recording deck itself. Result: the skipping isn't there. (Why it took me this long to think of trying this, I don't know...)

So it seems that what I've got is a lack of compatibility between my Panasonic DMR-HS2 and my Yamaha S540. Is it common for DVD recorders to produce discs that have problems on other machines?

Bert