1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-HS2 BIGGER HARD DISK

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dura, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Dura

Dura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to inform owners of the panasonic DMR-HS2 that the hard drive can be upgraded to a maximum of 120 GIG. I emailed home cinema choice magazine and they replied ....We will be tackling this in an upcoming issue. Please watch this space...So I waited, three issues passed and still nothing so I mailed them again and the replied...The IDE controller in the HS2 will not recognise anything over 120. Like I said, we'll be featuring the upgrade in an upcoming issue....So I decided to inform the viewers of the av forums. Maybe you could give steve may at home cinema choice magazine a bit of a ear bending so we can all enjoy the benefits of longer storage.
    Thanks Dura.

2. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been through this a million times through various forums/experts etc and the general opinion is that you can change the hard disk to any size (as long as it is roughly the same make and spec), but it will only recognise the first 40 gb and the recorders firmware cannot be flashed or upgraded to solve this.
    If someone else DOES know 101% that this CAN be done then I stand corrected, but this is the reason why i have just sold my HS2.

Cheers,

THX THX THX

3. Dura

Dura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done the same thing as yourself, gone serching around various forums but to no avail, but my last ditch attempt was to mail home cinema choice. If it couldn`t be done they would have just mailed me that reply. The only thing I am after is to get this issue finished one and for all. So if we are all in a mailing mood, this is the email address of steve may at home cinema choice magazine steve.may@highburywv.com. :)

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
  5. sfc

sfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This going to become circular as I have just posted this thread across on that thread Rasczak!

Gordon.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    :rotfl:

Sorry I didn't see that. I thought that thread had sort of come to the conclusion that it wasn't possible! Maybe the lack of an article in HCC means they have found out it's not possible?

7. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that this cannot be done! Please someone prove me wrong on this! I have search every possible nook and cranny to find if this is possible and baring panasonic taking the machines back and upgrading the firmware themselves, this is just not possible at the moment. I heard 1000's of stories about 60gb, 80gb, 120gb etc etc and there is absolutely no concrete proof that this can be done. A very old freind of mine who has one of these machines (had it since day one) has made this his quest to figure out how to do it (runs an electronics repair shop) and he can't figure it out!

I WOULD LOVE FOR SOMEONE TO PROVE ME WRONG ON THIS SO THAT ALL THE HS2 OWNERS CAN BENEFIT FROM KNOWING THAT IT CAN BE DONE AND HOW YOU DO IT.

INFACT IF SOMEONE CAN PROVE TO ME THAT A BIGGER HD CAN BE FITTED IN THE HS2 (PAL MACHINE) AND THE HS2 RECOGNISE THE FULL CAPACITY OF THE BIGGER DISC (BE IT 60GB, 80GB, 120GB ETC ETC) I WILL PUT UP A REWARD* OF £15 OR A NEW RELEASE R2 DVD OF YOUR CHOICE (UP TO A MAX OF £18)...

Prove me wrong.... Please???

(*Proof must be either a short mpeg or a series of jpegs showing the hs2 open with the larger hard disc working and all connections showing)

Cheers,

THX THX THX

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    THX - I think it's almost certain that nobody will be able to prove you wrong. In Japan Panasonic have made considerable profits from HDD/DVDR combos with HDD size being a serious factor in encouraging people to upgrade models hence the barriers to DIY upgrades. Certainly I have seen nothing online to convince me that it's possible.

9. THX THX THX

THX THX THX
    Bad trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too well know that this is not possible (well 99% anyway hence the prove me wrong bit) because like you said panasonic have made a fortune out of this, and they are not about to commit suicide so to speak and risk millions by allowing this to happen.
    Why do you think i've sold mine??

THX THX THX