Panasonic DMR-EZ48V DVD/VCR combi

Airon

Standard Member
Reaction score
This machine tries to come on going through the usual cycle of "please wait" etc then says BYE and shuts down before it does anything. I removed a video tape and re-set the cassette mechanism to the ejected position by manually winding the loading mechanism. Now the unit comes on ok and works until I try to load a tape. The loading motor does not switch on, and the unit shuts down via "BYE" but with no error code. If I push the housing assembly back to the ejected position it will work again. Any ideas anyone.

This machine tries to come on going through the usual cycle of "please wait" etc then says BYE and shuts down before it does anything. I removed a video tape and re-set the cassette mechanism to the ejected position by manually winding the loading mechanism. Now the unit comes on ok and works until I try to load a tape. The loading motor does not switch on, and the unit shuts down via "BYE" but with no error code. If I push the housing assembly back to the ejected position it will work again. Any ideas anyone.

Welcome to the forum.

You say the loading motor does not switch on.
Can you clarify that.

When you push the cassette in the slot, does the mechanism take the cassette in and drop it onto the deck, and THEN not load the tape ribbon around the head... or does it not even intake the cassette and drop it?

Thanks for the reply.

The loading motor is lifeless so when I attempt to load a cassette the loading motor does not take the tape in at all, the tape only goes in the amount I push it, the deck senses that it should be loading but isn't and the whole machine then shuts itself off obviously sensing a fault. If I then pull the tape back out and return the cassette housing mech. back to the ejected position and switch back on it works fine (E-E, guide, DVD plays and records) as long as I don't put a cassette in. I am hoping there is a supply voltage missing but I don't have a circuit diagram........ I have cleaned the mode switch and found 2 electrolytics leaky. C11711 in PSU secondary and another under the VCR deck but no improvement.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

The loading motor is lifeless so when I attempt to load a cassette the loading motor does not take the tape in at all, the tape only goes in the amount I push it, the deck senses that it should be loading but isn't and the whole machine then shuts itself off obviously sensing a fault. If I then pull the tape back out and return the cassette housing mech. back to the ejected position and switch back on it works fine (E-E, guide, DVD plays and records) as long as I don't put a cassette in. I am hoping there is a supply voltage missing but I don't have a circuit diagram........ I have cleaned the mode switch and found 2 electrolytics leaky. C11711 in PSU secondary and another under the VCR deck but no improvement.

I do not have any detailed information for the EZ48V... but it is likely that it uses the Panasonic Z mechanism.

The symptom suggests that either the sensor LED ( or its 5V supply) has failed ( It may be designated as D1501) and which will poke up on a stalk from the main board somewhere in the centre of the mechanism... or one of the photo sensors has failed, either supply, or take up, (possibly designated Q1501, Q1502) ... and which again poke up on stalks from the main board...in this case, either side of the mechanism.

Either that, or the loading motor has failed. You could test that for continuity or by applying a few volts from a couple of batteries to see if it operates.

In other words, the command to load is not being sensed... because of sensor failure ... or it is, but cannot commit because the motor has failed.
It is extremely unlikely there is anything wrong with the control system between the two.

Sensor failure ( or sensor LED) is probably more common.

I have cleaned the mode switch and found 2 electrolytics leaky. C11711 in PSU secondary and another under the VCR deck but no improvement.

Can you confirm this cap number please?
It appears to have one digit too many?

the cap numbers is as stated which I know is one digit longer than norm but thats what it says.

Have decided to give up on it. Did check the sender which measured ok, checked the mode switch again....ok, but wasn't sure if the sensors where faulty or how they should measure but as I said have decided to update.

Thanks for the help and advice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom