Panasonic DMR EZ28EB

carrollap

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a serious problem with my Panasonic recorder and would appreciate any help to solve it. I have an on screen message that says "self check did not complete". "Press OK then the unit opens disc tray and turn to standby". "Then press power to restart". "If the message reappears refer to info in the operational manual".
The message does reappear, but I cannot find any references in the user manual.
On the unit screen U61 appears briefly during the above process. Needless to say the device is not working at all. Can anyone help? Please.
Thanks
Tony

You could try unplugging it and leaving it off for about 30 minutes. Then when you plug it back in leave it for a while. U61 is meant to be a recovery process so if it comes back on with that on screen leave it for sometime to see if it resets itself.

It sounds like it has a geniune fault though. There isn't much you can do. Make sure its not related to a disc being left in the drive. If it does reset itself and seem ok start using it again with a fresh new rewritable disc to verify it wasn't caused by one of your older recordable discs. Make sure no buttons are stuck down on the recorder or remote. Minimise the amount of cables connected to the recorder like just the scart lead out and aerial in. Try vacuuming the dust out of the fan at the back of the recorder just in case its an overheating issue. If stacked with other hardware which gets hot this could be the issue. Make sure no cables or anything else are blocking the fan exhaust at the back.

If no luck contact Panasonic customer services if out of warranty they might be able to advise or help with repair costs.

I have a serious problem with my Panasonic recorder and would appreciate any help to solve it. I have an on screen message that says "self check did not complete". "Press OK then the unit opens disc tray and turn to standby". "Then press power to restart". "If the message reappears refer to info in the operational manual".
The message does reappear, but I cannot find any references in the user manual.

See manual page 63.
On the unit screen U61 appears briefly during the above process. Needless to say the device is not working at all. Can anyone help? Please.
Thanks
Tony
When you say 'not working at all' - Can you give more information please.

Ensure the disc tray is empty...then ...Try disconnecting the unit from the mains as suggested above then report what results you get, if any, when you plug it in and - then when you turn it on.

Almost certainly a new Drive is needed.

See manual page 63.

When you say 'not working at all' - Can you give more information please.

Ensure the disc tray is empty...then ...Try disconnecting the unit from the mains as suggested above then report what results you get, if any, when you plug it in and - then when you turn it on.

Thank you for the advice. I am away from home tonight, but will do as you suggest tomorrow and report back.
Regards
Tony

After disconnecting and then reconnecting, the device says "HELLO" and U61 appears. At the same time the device sounds as if it is trying to load a disc. Then "Hello" appears again and the on screen message appears, the one that I mentioned in my first post. It tells you to press OK which then causes the tray to open. "Please wait" appears and then the device goes to standby leaving the tray open. At times A1 also appears. Hope this info helps with your understanding of the problem.
Regards
Tony

New drive needed, definately.

A1 is just telling you it is ready to accept a signal connected to 'AV1'.

After disconnecting and then reconnecting, the device says "HELLO" and U61 appears. At the same time the device sounds as if it is trying to load a disc. Then "Hello" appears again and the on screen message appears, the one that I mentioned in my first post. It tells you to press OK which then causes the tray to open. "Please wait" appears and then the device goes to standby leaving the tray open. At times A1 also appears. Hope this info helps with your understanding of the problem.
Regards
Tony

I'm afraid I agree that it is likely a new drive is required.

These are very expensive... and on that basis, irrespective of your current guarantee position, you should contact Panasonic Customer Services.

Panasonic usually will back drive failures, and if out of guarantee all you would have to pay for are the engineers charges.

There is a history of these sorts of issues on the forum and you can read about other users experiences starting here.

email or phone contact points for Panasonic Customer services here

I'm afraid I agree that it is likely a new drive is required.

These are very expensive... and on that basis, irrespective of your current guarantee position, you should contact Panasonic Customer Services.

Panasonic usually will back drive failures, and if out of guarantee all you would have to pay for are the engineers charges.

There is a history of these sorts of issues on the forum and you can read about other users experiences starting here.

email or phone contact points for Panasonic Customer services here

Thank you for confirming what I feared. I will now contact Panasonic and see what they can do, even though my recorder is just out of warranty.
And thank you for the quick response to my problem. It is appreciated.
Regards
Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom