Panasonic DMR-EZ25 Quality Settings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jonmitch, Dec 18, 2006.

1. jonmitch

jonmitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm trying to source a "simple-to-use" DVD Recorder for my ageing parents. Must have Freeview, but HDD not important (frankly, I think it'd confuse them !).

Have been looking at the Panasonic DMR-EZ25, as I'm told they are easier to use than the Pioneer range (I have the Pioneer DVR-545 and am fairly happy, but I know the parents would never cope !).

However, the specs state recording quality is in 4 steps (XP, SP, LP, XLP or whatever). One of the things I particularly like about the Pioneer is that if a programme is, say, 2hrs15mins long I can choose a quality setting that will fit, say, 2hrs20mins on the disc. This way I'm getting pretty much the maximum quality I can from the disc. With the Panasonic, it seems that for a 2hr15mins programme I'd have to record in LP (4 hrs recording time). This seems like a hideous waste of disc space and potential quality. Is it only Pioneer that have the rather excellent "manual" quality settings (32 of them I think) ?

Speedy responses would be appreciated as I'm suffering the last-minute Christmas panic !!

Thanks,

Jon

2. jonmitch

jonmitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump !

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    I think you are making a big mistake there. Hard disk recording is much simpler , more user friendly. and more reliable than disk recording.
    I'll go check - but I'll be amazed if the EZ25 does not have an FR [ Flexible record ] mode in line with other Panasonics.

This optimises any recording to fit perfectly onto a disk with the minimum compromise in quality.

Back later.

4. Hal_loe

Hal_loe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Panasonic DVD Recorders have the following recording modes.

XP, SP, LP, EP and FR.

The mode you will be interested in is FR (Flexible record)

This basically does all the calculations for you so a 1.5hr programme would use an entire DVD.

I have transfered a 3hr VHS to DVD using FR on my Panasonic DVD Recorder to see what the quality was like and it is very good.

So in your example 2hrs 15mins would use the entire DVD disc space.

Hope that helps.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    Yes - I can confirm the EZ25 DOES have FR mode.

EDIT

[ Hi Hal - Beat me to it :) ]

6. jonmitch

jonmitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for the replies. That's good to know about the Panasonic. The Pioneer website clearly states the MN mode (32 steps between XP and EP), whereas the specs page on the Panasonic site only mentioned the 4 preset modes (of course, I may have just missed it).

As for HDD recording being easier than DVD - I agree. Bear in mind, however, that I still haven't managed to convince the parents that their files will be safe on the Hard Drive of their PC - they are convinced that they will all disappear when they turn the PC off. When I showed them my Pioneer they were convinced that there was a big reel of VHS tape inside instead of a Hard Drive .... ! And then the prospect of transferring from HDD to DVD ?! "Does not compute ..... BANG !"

Frankly I think they are nuts to want one of these things anyway - they still haven't mastered the VHS recorder after nearly 15 years. But you know what it's like .... !

Thanks again and if there are any other suggestions for really simple solutions, let me know.

Jon