Question Panasonic DMR EZ25 causing poor freeview signal on my TV

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by ah101, Jul 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ah101

ah101
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a (quite elderly these days) Panasonic DMR EZ25 (no hard drive) DVD recorder. I have had the classic no freeview fault in the past and replaced the usual defective capacitor, but noticed recently that it has very poor freeview signal on all TV stations on some channels and not others, also the rf output from the EZ25 is also low on those same channels even with the recorder in stby and just using the TV. If I plug the TV directly into the aerial socket and then check the signal strength all TV stations on all channels are showing at or close to 100%.

Has anybody got an idea as to what could be wrong with recorder?

Thanks for your time.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    Welcome to the forum.

If you have the EZ25 connected to the TV via an HDMI connection - these can interfere with the incoming aerial UHF. It can reduce signal on some channels or even knock them out altogether.
    So keep HDMI and UHF leads far apart and try other HDMI leads.

Otherwise, given the machine's age, capacitors in the power supply section are probably ageing and affecting supplies to the tuner section.
    It may be worth a visual inspection of all the medium and large size capacitors in the machine to check for leaking or bulging.

3. ah101

ah101
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Took recorder apart and c1530 not looking at all well!
    Gonna order (hopefully low esr) c1530 and c1533 again (belt and braces).
    Noticed on another thread for E75 recorder that he had c4056 also ruptured so if I can get this from the same supplier I'll get one of those as well.
    Cheers for your help so far, I'll report back once the repair has been done but will be approx a weeks time.

4. ah101

ah101
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Replaced C1530, 1533 & 4056.
    Signal now back to normal.
    Didn't want to get rid of the DVD recorder as it was a gift from my wife, so pleased with the result.