Panasonic DMR-EX98VEB- only plays VHS cassette picture on start up with cassette loaded.

PixieTV

Standard Member
If machine is on and I put a cassette in it only plays sound-blank screen. If I turn machine off and on again cassette plays fine -fast forwards, reverse and pause- but if I stop- then play again-only sound. So its only functioning correctly when the cassette is loaded when the machine is switched on. Although it gets little cassette use I would like to try and fix it.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
In the first scenario does anything appear on screen if you use pic search?
If it does, that suggests dirty video heads, but a worn pinch roller could also cause those symptoms.

PixieTV

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply JayCee. I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the term Pic Search- willing to learn if you can elaborate? I was getting just AV2 top left of blank screen with sound. I have though been leaving the machine running with pre recorded tapes and the problem looks to have ceased after 2-3 hours of play, though I've not tried any tapes recorded by myself yet, to see if I can stop and restart them. Regards, PTV

JayCee

Distinguished Member
“Pic Search” (Picture search) is a function all VCR's have.
While the tape is playing you push the F-Fwd button, anyway, glad it's righted itself.

PixieTV

Standard Member
Thanks JC. if it happens again I'll state what happens with FF while playing- I'm not sure if I tried that. I did remember though that playing pre recorded tapes would be better than a cleaning cassette. Regards PTV

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom