Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic DMR EX97 refuses to power on from remote

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by linuxrocks, Jan 16, 2018.

1. linuxrocks

linuxrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody experienced their DMR EX97 refusing to power on from the remote? Mine has done it a few times now. I can always switch it on by leaning on the main on/off switch on the machine. I've spoken to Panasonic about it and they said "it was probably trying to protect an internal component" and that I should return it for service. This sounds like garbage to me - I suspect it needs a firmware patch but none isn't available. It normally isn't a problem, but I suspect this is why I missed several programs that I was trying to record on timer yesterday.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    Welcome to the forum.

The most likely explanation is that the power switch button on the remote control is not reliably activating an output from the remote when the button is pushed.

It is a relatively common button failure as users often tend to overpush the power switch because the machine does not respond immediately to a power on instruction.

You can check to see if this is the problem by using a camera or phone camera ( anything which has an electronic viewfinder ). If you point the output of the remote at the camera lens and monitor the results on the viewfinder screen you should see the infra red LED pulsing every time a button is pressed.

This problem will absolutely no bearing on failed timer recordings. The explanation for that will lie elsewhere.
    There are a number of channel changes and channel movements taking place just at the moment so the unit most probably requires a retune.

3. linuxrocks

linuxrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the remote. When I press the power on button, the LED flashes on the machine, but it refuses to power on. If I power it on with the button on the machine, I can then power it off with the remote.

I am very unimpressed with the Panasonic. My SONY RDR-HXD890 never missed a recording (the Panasonic does quite regularly) and would burn DVDs far quicker. Shame Panasonic are the only players in the market.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    OK - When the LED flashes whilst you push the power on button, is anything shown on the (machine's) display for a few seconds?

Missed recordings are usually due to EPG conflicts caused by tuning issues such as picking up channels from more than one transmitter.
    Remedies are to clear out the machine by doing a tuning scan with the aerial detached, then reattach and scan once more.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    Transmissions and techniques have changed quite a bit since the days of the Sony '890

The biggest change is that transmissions now include HD and that has brought a change in the way such recorders record.

You may be finding the burning process slow because you are recording in DR mode... which is an 'unencoded' form of recording that will not go directly onto a disk without going through an encoding process which can only be done in real time.

If you record in a another mode, say SP for example, you would then be able to high speed copy the recording to DVD as the encoding process is done at the time of recording.

6. cantique

cantique
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also had this problem and certain that it's not the remote at fault. The only solution seems to be to power it off by holding down the on/off button on the machine and then switching it back on. Not much use if there's a recording underway.

I did wonder whether it was related to the HDD being pretty full (23h remaining).

Linuxrocks: did you find a solution?

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    No - it will not be that.

This is a control failure and will almost certainly be due to data corruption reaching the processor. ( which is cleared by doing a reset as you describe. )
    The same thing is achieved via a power disconnection.

8. linuxrocks

linuxrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not in any real sense. I'm convinced it is a fault in the controlling software and it needs an update, except there isn't one available, and I can't see Panasonic doing one. Anyway, my "solution" was to buy a PVR and record the programs on that as well as the DVD recorder. If the DVD recorder doesn't wake up, I can still watch the program on the PVR and if I want to burn it to DVD, do that via the PC.

The DVD recorder refused to wake up twice last week, twice in three days. It really is a piss of sh*t.

9. redsox9

redsox9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My Panasonic DMR-EX97 also occasionally will not power on from the remote but does not seem to miss timer recordings. I simply disconnect it from the mains and reconnect and the remote power on works again. Mine seems to only record in DR mode. Under the edit function, the recording can then be easily transformed to SP or LP for fast transfer to DVD. Is it capable of recording in SP or LP mode off Freeview? Even the LP gives a good screen render and two films can fit in one DVD. I love it -- the third and best Panasonic recorder I have owned over the years.

10. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    Yes.

If doing a manual recording, use the 'Record Mode' button to change recording modes. (Just to the right of Record button on the remote).

If doing a timer record, there will be a mode setting in the timer screen which you can change.

Be aware that once you change it, all timer recordings you set thereafter will probably default to that new setting you have chosen - until you change it to something else.

11. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
  12. Chris1980

Chris1980
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone have a similar issue with their DMR EX97 to me? I'm sure I have a fault with my recorder from time to time which stops the remote control unit responding!

As everyone who owns one of these machines will probably know, around 3:00am, the machine uploads the programme guide for the next day and this is obviously shown by the word 'GUIDE' which appears in the front display.

A little bit before this happens, you hear the cooling fan on the rear of the unit kick in and after about 10 minutes, it does the upload which lasts for approximately 30 minutes. Once the upload is complete, the word guide disappears from the display and the cooling fan should go off.

BUT....... there seems to be an issue on mine regarding the cooling fan!

I purchased my DMR-EX97 from Currys in January 2018 and have noticed that every few weeks, mine seems to upload the programme guide ok but the cooling fan on occasions will just permanently stay running! The last time it did it, I thought I'd ignore it and give the machine longer to see what happened (in the hope it would turn off by itself). However, even after 24 hours, the fan was still running!

On these days when the fan doesn't turn off and I press the on/off button on the remote control, I can see a green flashing dot in the display obviously meaning that it has detected a button has been pressed but nothing actually happens! The only way I can get the machine to work again (when this happens) is by holding down the power button on the unit itself for a few seconds forcing it to 'shut down'. The fan then stops and I can operate the machine again then as normal.

There are days when the fan switches off normally after the nightly programme guide upload and it can seem totally normal for a few weeks. Every few weeks though, the machine seems to act up by showing the fan staying on issue and not responding to the remote.

I tried taking it back to Currys in March but unfortunately, they couldn't offer me a replacement unit as it was outside the 30 day return period. All they could offer me was a repair but I've just put up with the issue for now as I regularly use the machine and didn't really want to be without a recorder.

I have even tried e-mailing Panasonic themselves to see what they could suggest and one of their technical support guys suggested to try turning off the auto updates and doing a factory reset as that would possibly fix the problem. Having tried what they recommended, the issue is STILL there every few weeks.

Has anyone come across this issue before with any of their EX97 machines as I'm convinced mine must be faulty!

It is kept on a table with plenty of air flow around the back and sides so I can't see it being an overheating issue.

Would appreciate if anyone could shed any light on what is possibly wrong or if this is a well known issue on these?

I'm thinking of maybe buying another eventually and selling my current one on eBay as I'm thinking something isn't quite 100% right with it and hasn't been from the day I bought it brand new!

Thanks.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  13. redsox9

redsox9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gavtech, do you know what time Panasonic usually broadcasts its firmware updates? I tried to update the firmware on my Panasonic DMR-EX97EB with the new version 1.04 but there was none being broadcast. I much prefer the air broadcast method rather than an Internet download.

14. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    I believe that the OTA download services have ceased now unfortunately.

Story here.

So I think you will have to follow the procedure as laid out here.

15. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    Welcome to the forum.

Before doing anything - update the software to Version 1:04 . There is a link to it in the post above yours.

16. redsox9

redsox9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

17. redsox9

redsox9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, I did not know the OTA download services had been stopped. The new firmware version says it improves "network service compatibility." Do you know what that terse phrase means?

18. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    Sorry - I don't know exactly... but Panasonic only ever issue updates to deal with problems that arise as a result of broadcast changes.

There are now enough reports of the unit becoming unresponsive to the remote control to indicate that this has been a system failure... no doubt caused as a result of recent broadcast changes.

Evidently those changes have been causing a corruption resulting in processor lockup which can only be reset by a mains disconnection.

I suspect that this update will be to address that problem.... to make the unit compatible with the broadcast changes.

19. Chris1980

Chris1980
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Thanks Gavtech.

Will give this a try during the week sometime and see what happens.

Maybe it is a software glitch with the old Firmware that is causing the fan to sometimes stay running.

20. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    If the processor gets a lockup occurring in any process then it is effectively disabled and cannot 'do' anything more.

The act of overnight updating involves using the tuner and timer processor which is energy intensive and can result in the fan coming on.
    If the processor locks up during that process it cannot then turn the fan off - so if the first problem is solved, so the lockup does not occur, the second ( the fan) should be too.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 9:29 AM
  21. Chris1980

Chris1980
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Thanks Gavtech. Possibly this Firmware update will solve it!

Will download it onto a USB stick over the weekend and install it. (I haven't updated the Firmware since I bought the machine and have just been using it as a Recorder/DVD player as it is). I think from what I remember seeing, I'm on Firmware version 1.00 still or whatever version was the default straight out of the box.

The problem doesn't show up sometimes for a few weeks but I will definitely let you know in a few weeks time if it reoccurs or seems to be solved.

Appreciate your help and thank you. :)

22. Chris1980

Chris1980
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I've updated my machine on Saturday morning and was on Firmware version 1.03 at first. (I'm now on the most recent 1.04 version).

Very easy to do following the instructions to download and save the update file to a USB pen.

I'm HOPING this new version fixes the problem! Other than the slight issue I have with the fan from time to time, the DMR-EX97 is a brilliant piece of kit!

Will let you all know in a few weeks what happens. :)