Question Panasonic DMR-EX95V U80 & U81 errors

arglet

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all, not been here for 4 years since Gavin helped me to sort out the 'no digital channels' problem (Thanks Gavin you are a star!).
I have an old Panasonic DMR-EX95V combi - it must be getting on for 8 years old but has been a great machine. During it's life I have replaced the tuner, the laser unit (twice) and the capacitors needed to get the tuner working again.
Over the past 6 months the HDMI output has been causing problems, just losing output but then working again at random.
I have replaced the HDMI board but this did not fix the problem.
Yesterday while watching a program from the hard drive, the TV screen went green all over and the LED display gave the dreaded U80 error.
I powered off, left it for 30 mins and restarted - everything worked for 2 minutes, then U80 again.
Restarted, but this time got U81.
Left overnight, restarted and everything ok for 5 minutes, started watching a stored program, all ok, then U80 again. Strange thing is that the video continued to play in spite of the U80 displayed (in fact I am watching it right now).
I know the machine is well past it's sell by date, but it has been a superb piece of kit and I would really like to fix it again if at all possible.
Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Hope to hear from you soon, regards Tony

It is almost certainly going to be down to failing capacitors again - its just a question of where.

Carefully visually check all electrolytic capacitors in the power supply area for swelling or leakage. Also check the larger medium sized capacitors associated with sub-regulators around the main boards.

If a visual check reveals nothing, you will require an ESR meter to check more thoroughly.

Hello Gavin,
Many thanks for your fast reply to my post, very much appreciated.
I will visually check the capacitors as you suggest and hopefully find something there.
Yesterday, the machine functioned all night with everything working in spite of a solid U80 displayed. I even ran a re-tune which found all the Freeview channels so my previous repair must still be good.
Today however, there is a constant U81 error which will not clear.
I have managed to source the DMR-EX95 workshop manual in .pdf and would be pleased to send you a copy if you would like one?
I will update this when I have completed my visual inspection.
Kind regards, Tony

Many thanks for the offer - but i already have a copy.

One other consideration is: I suspect that the surface mounted capacitors on the digital board may be the problem given the various error codes.

Hello Gavin,
Thank you for your reply.
I am sure you are right about failing capacitors. I am capable of replacing the standard type but surface mount is beyond me I'm afraid.
I am still to do a visual inspection when I have time.
I found this on eBay Panasonic DMR-EX95v digital board VEP79118, VJB79118 Ram pcb panel dmr-ex95veb | eBay which may be worth a try, but I suspect the HDD will need to be formatted after replacement. (It would be nice to rescue some of the recordings if possible).
I will update this when I have had a look inside the machine.
Many thanks, Tony

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hello Gavin,
Many thanks for your fast reply to my post, very much appreciated.
I will visually check the capacitors as you suggest and hopefully find something there.
Yesterday, the machine functioned all night with everything working in spite of a solid U80 displayed. I even ran a re-tune which found all the Freeview channels so my previous repair must still be good.
Today however, there is a constant U81 error which will not clear.
I have managed to source the DMR-EX95 workshop manual in .pdf and would be pleased to send you a copy if you would like one?
I will update this when I have completed my visual inspection.
Kind regards, Tony
Hi Tony,
This is my first post on the forum. I also have a Panasonic DMR-EX95 that has been giving me problems.

It's not possible to get the Freeview digital channels, or set the time and the unit flashes 0:00 and has power issues.

I have read quite a few of the threads on the capacitor issues that seem to be the main problem. I have ordered a fix kit with 5 replacement capacitors from a supplier linked from a thread and I am taking it to a repairer who someone recommended on the forum, (Michael Stanfield from Buxton), this weekend.

You mentioned you had "managed to source the DMR-EX95 workshop manual in .pdf " could you please tell me where I can obtain that so I can advise him in case he needs it to carry out the repair?

Many Thanks
Mike

Many thanks for the offer - but i already have a copy.

One other consideration is: I suspect that the surface mounted capacitors on the digital board may be the problem given the various error codes.
Hi Gavin,

Sorry to bother you.
This is my second post on the forum.
You mentioned in the above post to Tony that you had "already have a copy" of the DMR-EX95 workshop manual in .pdf

Could you please tell me where I can obtain the manual so I can advise the Engineer I am taking my recorder to, (Michael Stanfield from Buxton), in case he needs it to carry out the repair? I did ask the same question to Tony but he has not replied.

Michael didn't seem very familiar with my model and I just wanted to give him all the help I could to ensure my recorder was carefully repaired and not damaged. I have a lot of stuff on the recorder hard drive I don't want to lose.

Many Thanks
Mike

Google is your friend.
The first result for "Panasonic DMR-EX95 Service Manual" provides a source.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom