Panasonic DMR EX95V help needed

Pakman

Novice Member
My trusty DMR-EX95V collapsed into the 'please wait' state. No error codes displayed. Inspection found the two 680uF caps bulged and u/s so I replaced them but still in 'please wait' mode. Then removed and tested all electrolytic caps on the power board and all OK.
If I monitor the 12V and 5V hard disk voltages they are pulsing on and off until I remove the VJB79118 processor/interface board when they stabilise OK. Even with disk drives not connected, the insertion of the interface card still causes PSU to go into pulsing fault mode. Searching t'interwebnet I can find no reference to this card. Does anyone on here know of a common fault or a source of a replacement interface card please?
Thanks in advance.

Gavtech

Administrator
I have never heard heard of any board being referred to as the 'Processor/Interface Board'. Not can I find any reference to that board number.

I'm assuming you are referring to the Digital PCB board? (See picture)

I probably cannot find the board number because the Digital PCB and RAM drive are supplied as a single unit and as such have a completely different number: RFKNEX95VEB ( In the case of the EB variant - Each territory requires a different PCB variant.)

The reason they are supplied this way is that the alignment data for the RAM drive is stored on the digital PCB.

If you could even get such things anymore they would be ludicrously expensive and uneconomic.

Second hand units are probably the only reasonable source.

This is not a common fault at all- This is the first example I have come across.

Digital RAM boards are treated as 'unserviceable' by Panasonic because of the miniaturisation on much of the board, so they supply no circuitry details.

But, assuming this is like typical digital PCB's that are typical of this range of machines, that board will have between ten to twenty surface mount electrolytics which may be regarded as suspect. so you could try replacing those - starting with the larger ones first.

Attachments

• DMR-EX95V Board Locations.jpg
    DMR-EX95V Board Locations.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 20

Pakman

Novice Member
I have never heard heard of any board being referred to as the 'Processor/Interface Board'. Not can I find any reference to that board number.

I'm assuming you are referring to the Digital PCB board? (See picture)

I probably cannot find the board number because the Digital PCB and RAM drive are supplied as a single unit and as such have a completely different number: RFKNEX95VEB ( In the case of the EB variant - Each territory requires a different PCB variant.)

The reason they are supplied this way is that the alignment data for the RAM drive is stored on the digital PCB.

If you could even get such things anymore they would be ludicrously expensive and uneconomic.

Second hand units are probably the only reasonable source.

This is not a common fault at all- This is the first example I have come across.

Digital RAM boards are treated as 'unserviceable' by Panasonic because of the miniaturisation on much of the board, so they supply no circuitry details.

But, assuming this is like typical digital PCB's that are typical of this range of machines, that board will have between ten to twenty surface mount electrolytics which may be regarded as suspect. so you could try replacing those - starting with the larger ones first.
Thanks Gavtech. It is the Digital pc board that causes the issue when plugged in. I’m going to try replacing both MD5001s in the psu are incase they were damaged when the caps went.
Will also search using your reference number to see what spares are available
Graham

Pakman

Novice Member
MD5001 replacement has not altered matters. With just main board on bench, all voltages are OK until I plug in the digital board when the 5V and 12V start pulsing on and off. Tried all electrolytics on the digital board with no faulty ones found. As I'm working blind 'sans manual' I'm not sure where to look next.
Any one got a set of circuit diagrams for the digital board please?
Thanks Graham

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom