• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMR-EX85EB-S Drive Clunk Error U88

marcusd666

Standard Member
Hi All I have a Panasonic DMR-EX87EB-S - 250GB which has just developed a problem when I turn it on now I get 4 clunks from the drive and error U88 then it just turns it self off and I cannot do anything with it. I have only had it for just over 2 1/2 years and not used the drive that much!

Is it worth contacting Panasonic? also is it possible to remove the hard drive and plug it in to a PC to remove the programs that I have stored on it????

Cheers guys

Marcus

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi All I have a Panasonic DMR-EX85EB-S - 250GB which has just developed a problem when I turn it on now I get 4 clunks from the drive and error U88 then it just turns it self off and I cannot do anything with it. I have only had it for just over 2 1/2 years and not used the drive that much!

Is it worth contacting Panasonic? also is it possible to remove the hard drive and plug it in to a PC to remove the programs that I have stored on it????

Cheers guys

Marcus

Hello Marcus

Bad news unfortunately.
You will probably find that the display indicates a disc is present even when the tray is empty.

This is classic drive failure mode and it will require replacement.

Yes - it is definitely worth contacting Panasonic. They usually bear part of the cost of this problem, subject to age.

There are a number of histories of this on the forum.
Here is one.

Don't plug the HDD into a PC. A PC is not able to recognise it.
HDD titles usually survive DVD drive replacement.

Good luck ... and please let us know what transpires.

marcusd666

Standard Member
Thanks Gavtech for the really quick reply I will give Panasonic a ring in the morning and see what they say? when it finally does come on the disc indicator is on all the time like you said. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Marcus

marcusd666

Standard Member
Quick Update:

Phoned Panasonic this morning and told them the problems and error code! went on hold for a bit then came back with the answer "You are not going to be able to do anything with that" Then gave me the phone number of a local repairer.

Phoned them and it off to see what they come up with I know they are going to come back with the drive is dead! and £25 lighter for the info.

Will just have to see how much the final bill will be ????

Also had the wrong model number should be DMR-EX87EB-S

Marcus

Last edited:

marcusd666

Standard Member
Update:

Well had a call today off the local repairer and the verdict! The RAM Drive is cur-put the final bill is going to be £180 all in.

I doubt Panasonic will cover it now as its been over two years from when I got it.

Marcus

Gavtech

Administrator
Update:

Well had a call today off the local repairer and the verdict! The RAM Drive is cur-put the final bill is going to be £180 all in.

I doubt Panasonic will cover it now as its been over two years from when I got it.

Marcus

Hi Marcus.

Don't give up on that.

Contact Panasonic again and report what you have been told by the repairer.

There have been many instances of Panasonic paying for most or all the cost of the part.

The guarantee is not relevant to this issue, so it does not matter if it has expired.

[ What will have thrown Panasonic is the U88 issue ]

marcusd666

Standard Member
Update:

Well I have got my engineers report and sent it off along with receipt and a nice cover letter to Panasonic so will just have to wait and see what happens now.

Marcus

Gavtech

Administrator
Update:

Well I have got my engineers report and sent it off along with receipt and a nice cover letter to Panasonic so will just have to wait and see what happens now.

Marcus

Thanks for the update.

Good luck.

marcusd666

Standard Member
New Year Update:

Well had a letter back from Panasonic on new years eve and they have agreed to pay for half the cost of the repair! Which is great news when the item is 3 years old so I am more then happy with that result. Its nice to know that there are still some good manufactures out there.

Marcus

Gavtech

Administrator
New Year Update:

Well had a letter back from Panasonic on new years eve and they have agreed to pay for half the cost of the repair! Which is great news when the item is 3 years old so I am more then happy with that result. Its nice to know that there are still some good manufactures out there.

Marcus

Good news Marcus.

I'm pleased to hear you've had a good result.

..and thanks again for keeping us updated.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom