Panasonic DMR-EX85 digital channel problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PeteZ, Dec 31, 2006.

1. PeteZ

PeteZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Forum.
    I have just purchased the above machine, and it is a great machine. The only problem I have is in seeing the digital channels. I have no problem in recording all the Freeview channels and playing them back later, but when I scroll down the channel selector, I only get the analogue channels (BBC1/2 and ITV and C4).

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks

Pete

2. dshtt

dshtt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does this recorder have a loop through for your RF cable, if so, there should be a short RF cable included in the box.

I had a similar problem with my Pioneer recorder except I could only receive digital. Also had the same problem when setting up my Pioneer media box after disconnecting everything and starting from scratch with my new receiver and dvd recorder.

3. PeteZ

PeteZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure I quite understand that, but i have set up the RF cables as per instructions.

Pete

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    Aren't you supposed to just use the EPG to view the available Digital (Freeview) channels...I don't have the model myself so I'm not too sure if what I'm saying is correct or whether you're doing something wrong. :confused:
    Try using the Prog + & Prog - according to the user manual...
    Your digital channels can be found at positions 1-900.
    Your analogue channels can be found at positions 901-999.

5. dshtt

dshtt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not familiar with your player, but normally on a twin tuner digi/ana you have to connect an RF to each tuner it sounds like you have connected your aeriel to the digi tuner only? Are there spare RF connections on the back of your machine?

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    There isn't...he has it connected correctly.
    The Panasonic uses a dual Digital-Analogue tuner.

7. farnworthless

farnworthless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure your TV is tuned to the correct AV channel? And are you sure you are using the EX85 remote to scroll through the channels.

Have you got is set to output RGB all the time? Or just during playback/onscreen display? If it's the latter then try changing it to the former.

8. PeteZ

PeteZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all the advice, which has been very helpful. I can at least get the digital channels now, which seems involve alternating between the analogue and digital channels by pressing the AV button on the remote. My previous digibox was easy. I just present the channel button and scrolled through all the channels. It seems a shame if I cant do the same again.

A few supplementary questions, if anyone can help (excuse my lack of expertise here)

1. How can I stop some of the channels appearing in 4:3 mode. The TV aspect is set to 16:9
    2. As all the analogue channels are already covered in the digital list, why bother having them there at all?
    3.I have the AV1 Output set to RGB1 9without component) and AV2 input set to RGB. I haven't a clue what this means, if someone can explain

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    They are being broadcast in and intended to be viewed in 4x3 mode.

The Analogue tuner is included as a convenience...not every owner will stay in an area covered by Freeview...you will (in theory and a lot of people debate it) get a better picture watching channels 1-5 using the Freeview tuner.

RGB is recognised as giving the best possible picture, slightly behind Component but often no difference is noticed.

10. nsd3

nsd3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My EX85 does exactly the same. On power-up it would show a freeview channel in its correct 16:9 ratio, but entering the HDD navigator, the EPG, or settings menu would result in the picture reverting to 4:3 and staying that way.

A factory reset cured the problem (though you lose all your settings etc.) temporarily, but the problem has now returned. I'm sending mine back!

11. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

On my EX-75, the analogue channels are stored in channel 901 onwards (e.g. BBC1 = 901). Can you see channel 5 on 905?.

12. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    If you read the OPs post carefully that is not quite the same.
    He is complaining of some channels showing in 4x3 format...not the disc navigator.
    I am correctly pointing out to him that not all channels are broadcast in 16x9...even though the box may be set at 16x9 and be using a widescreen TV...if the transmission is a 4x3 that is the format in which it will be displayed.

13. farnworthless

farnworthless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not just leave it on AV?

You can either watch the terrestrial channels as 1 to 5 of the digital list, or as 901 onwards as analogue.

You can also set up a profile so that you have just the channels you want, and in the order you want, when scrolling or using the EPG.

2. Why not? It saves having to tune away from the AV channel for one thing.

3. Those are the best settings.