Panasonic DMR-EX83EB uploading video - resolution problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by horseshoe, Jan 23, 2017.

1. horseshoe

horseshoe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic DMR-EX83EB with latest firmware.
    I'm trying to upload (for saving on the hard drive) a video file in avi / divx format,
    as required by the instruction manual.
    I'm transferring the video file from a portable hard drive, formatted in fat32 and with a partition size of 30Gbs.
    The Panasonic sees the file, but when I try to play it (or do anything else with it) I get an error message "Video Resolution not supported".

The file plays perfectly well on the PC.
    I use Windows Movie Maker to create the video (inMP4) then AVS Video Converter to convert it to avi / divx.
    There are a number of divx options within the AVS programme and I've tried them all.
    Can anyone give me a clue as to why this is happening.

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    Download the free MediaInfo software and open the .AVI file using it. Select the treeview option and export to text file. Post the results to this thread. Audio Video Interleave (AVI) is a very old video container format. I would have expected a mpeg2 576i video file in a programme stream (.mpg) or transport stream (.ts) file to work.

This review says you can't upload DIV-X to the hard disk.

Panasonic DMR-EX83 HDD/DVD Recorder - Panasonic DMR-EX83 HDD/DVD Recorder

Try burning the file to a DVD blank or creating a DVD-Video disk using a DVD authoring package like DVD-Flick.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,999
    DivX File requirements are very specific. (You will find them on page 18 of your manual)

Certified to the DivX Home Theater Profile V3.0.
    Video
    – Number of stream: Up to 1
    – Codec: DIV3, DIV4, DIVX, DX50
    – 16 k 16 to 720 k 576 (25 fps)
    16 k 16 to 720 k 480 (30 fps)
    – Aspect Ratio: 10:11, 40:33, 16:11, 12;11, 1:1
    Audio
    – Number of stream: Up to 8
    – Format: MP3, MPEG, Dolby Digital
    – Multi channel: Dolby Digital is possible. MPEG
    multi is 2 ch conversion.
    – Bitrate: 16 kbps to 320 kbps (MP3/MPEG), 32
    kbps to 448 kbps (Dolby Digital)
    – Sampling frequency: 16 kHz/22.05 kHz/24 kHz/
    32 kHz/44.1 kHz/48 kHz (MP3/MPEG)/32 kHz/
    44.1 kHz/48 kHz (Dolby Digital)
    As the error message being returned is that the Video resolution is not supported - that is what you need to check first.

Max is:
    720 x 576 @ (25 fps)
    720 x 480 @ (30 fps)

You can PLAY divx video from USB and '-' format type discs - but you will not be able to copy it to anything.

4. horseshoe

horseshoe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavtech

Many thanks.
    I am still looking into your quick and copious reply, so apologies for the delay in responding.
    In the meantime, I have attached the AVI text file as requested.
    From this it looks as if the width @ height (resolution?) exceed the Panasonic allowed max.

Attached Files:

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
  6. horseshoe

horseshoe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the inputs.

I have been able to change the resolution of the source video using AVS Video converter, saved the AVI format result to my external hard drive and successfully played it on the Panasonic PVR.

I can't save it to the PVR's hard drive as expected and has been pointed out earlier, so am trying to use a DVD+R instead.

If I format a blank DVD+R on the PVR, then burn (on my PC) the same AVI video I used on the external hard drive, it will not play on the PVR.

What is strange is when I format the blank DVD on the PVR, and look at on my PC, it is not completely blank, but has 2 blank files 1) Video_RM and 2) Video_TS ?

Any ideas?

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    Gavtech's post says it has to be DVD -R. As you have a SD compatible file why don't you burn it in DVD-Video format using a authoring programme like DVDFlick ?

DVD Flick

8. horseshoe

horseshoe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for everyone’s' replies and once again apologies for my delayed response.

Mention has been made of authoring software. I have successfully used Sony's "DVD Architect Studio" in the past and have been able to copy the result to the PVR's hard drive. BUT I found the quality of the result (which was a compilation of jpeg pictures and video files) to be quite poor. I also tried DVDFlick with similar results.

So I decided the only way to preserve quality was to try and copy photos and Videos to the PVR separately.

I was able to copy the photos, to the hard drive OK, but have had no success with video, other than being able to play video files from my external hard drive once I had reduced their resolution as I mentioned earlier.

It's the next step that has me stumped (sorry any cousins listening, I think that's a cricket term) - ie copying the video files that play successfully to the hard drive.

I have tried DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-R and for luck, an SC card. I have even tried formatting these on the PVR itself before burning them. Non is recognised.

I am coming to the conclusion that the only way is to somehow get the video into the form VIDEO-TS (which contained VOB files) but I only know of authoring software that will do it.

I am surprised that a DVD-R failed - the manual seems to suggest that it should work, as should DVD+RW and a USB hard drive FAT32 formatted.

Any new suggestions would be very welcome.