Panasonic DMR-EX83EB still worth buying?

humblestum

Standard Member
Reaction score
Am looking to replace my venerable Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder. At the moment it is connected to a Foxsat HD and Bravia 19L4000. These three are upstairs. Basic needs are:-

• Record Freeview+ to HDD with series-link capability
  • Transfer to DVD so anything recorded upstairs can be watched downstairs (and vice-versa)
  • Record from our Freesat Foxsat HD box. (For some reason the Freeview signal does not include channels such as ITV4, which I can only view via Freesat).
I considered a Freesat HDD + DVD box but there do not seem to be any currently available. Therefore am considering the Panasonic EX83EB. Would appreciate recommendations and advice. Thanks.

Am looking to replace my venerable Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder. At the moment it is connected to a Foxsat HD and Bravia 19L4000. These three are upstairs. Basic needs are:-

• Record Freeview+ to HDD with series-link capability
  • Transfer to DVD so anything recorded upstairs can be watched downstairs (and vice-versa)
  • Record from our Freesat Foxsat HD box. (For some reason the Freeview signal does not include channels such as ITV4, which I can only view via Freesat).
I considered a Freesat HDD + DVD box but there do not seem to be any currently available. Therefore am considering the Panasonic EX83EB. Would appreciate recommendations and advice. Thanks.

The EX83 is probably the best SD DVD recorder on the market.
It will do all you want it to do.

If you don't have ITV4 it means you are not receiving the com6 multiplex ( assuming your locality is post digital switchover)
There can be a variety of reasons for this - which can be pursued if you are bothered. (It would help to know which transmitter you receive from)

It also means you will not be getting any of these channels:

12 Yesterday General entertainment • • • •
15 Film4 General entertainment • • • •
18 4Music General entertainment • • • •
21 VIVA General entertainment • • • •
22 Ideal World General entertainment • • • •
24 ITV4 General entertainment • • • •
32 Big Deal General entertainment • • • •
35 QVC Beauty General entertainment • • • •
40 Rocks & Co 1 General entertainment • • • •
41 Sky Sports 1 General entertainment • • • •
42 Sky Sports 2 General entertainment • • • •
47 4seven General entertainment • • • •
85 Russia Today News • • • •
89 Al Jazeera Eng News • • • •
93 ADULT smileTV2 Adult • • • •
95 ADULT Babestn Adult • • • •
100 ADULT Section Text services • • • •
110 VISION Text services • • • •
111 CCTV Text services • • • •
112 Sports Text services • • • •
116 Racing TV Text services • • • •
306 Channel Zero Interactive • • • •
711 The Hits Radio Radio • • • •
712 Smash Hits! Radio • • • •
713 Kiss Radio • • • •
714 heat Radio • • • •
715 Magic Radio • • • •
716 Q Radio • • • •
718 SMOOTH RADIO Radio • • • •
722 Kerrang! Radio • • • •
725 Premier Radio​

You have not mentioned the requirement but I should mention the option in case it may interest you as you are considering a machine replacement:
You could consider the option of going for a modern twin HD tuner Bluray recorder.
Naturally there is a price premium for such machines and it may be surplus to your needs.

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. We are at 51.544..N 1.885..W, the (externally mounted) aerial points SSW and so I think that means the Mendip transmitter. Looking at the channel list you provided, the upstairs TV does not receive 12, 18 and 24 (of those that are mainstream, so to speak). I have to think it is a signal strength issue as I have just checked the main TV downstairs (fed from the same aerial) and that receives 12, 18 and 24 OK. The aerial cable goes direct to the living room, where it is connected to a mains-powered amplifier and then split to the two TV's.

If you don't have ITV4 it means you are not receiving the com6 multiplex ( assuming your locality is post digital switchover)
There can be a variety of reasons for this - which can be pursued if you are bothered. (It would help to know which transmitter you receive from)

It would be interesting to know more about the above.

Thanks for confirming that the EX83 will meet my needs which are very modest - the other machine you mention would be overkill and impossible to justify, cost-wise. Will now go ahead and order the EX83. :)

Ref my last post ref missing channels - problem solved! :)

Looking at the downstairs set-up, I realised I had forgotten about the feed to a third TV (in the kitchen). So, the coax from the aerial goes direct to the Sony HDD/DVD box, from where the main TV is fed via a HDMI cable. The coax feed is looped through from the Sony to the amplifier, where it is split to the kitchen and upstairs. The kitchen set received 12, 18 and 24 OK, the upstairs set did not. Just out of curiosity, I switched over the two outlets and bingo, both now receive 12, 18 and 24. Not logic I know - but it works...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom