• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMR-EX83EB & 9.4GB DL DVD-RAM Discs

AJW1100

Standard Member
I was going to order some Panasonic 4.7GB DVD RAM discs but saw some 9.4GB Dual Layer discs on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-PANASONIC-DVD-RAM-9-4GB-DISCS-CARTRIDGES-2-3X-/160398218838?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item25587a9656

Can these be used in place of the 4.7GB discs without problems? These ones are advertised with removable cartridges inferring that they may be used as normal. The price of these is far cheaper than the 4.7GB single sided (Per GB) even if I can only use one side!!

Can I use these in my DMR-EX83EB Recorder?

Many thanks

Alan.

volvofan

Established Member
I have used the 9.4GB discs for years,no practical difference except for the need to turn the disc over yourself.I always wondered why there was not a recorder made like some Laserdisc players where the laser moved from one side of the disc to the other could have allowed for longer recording times.The 9.4GB can be used in any recorder/drive that works with the 4.7GB discs,I keep discs in the cartridges where possible although finger prints etc on double sided discs from handling an issue on occasion.Some of mine are from early 2004 Panasonic branded and still work without issues,if cheaper than 4.7GB discs no reason not too.The 9.4GB discs are not double layer discs,there double sided,you will need to turn the disc over yourself so just like using two 4.7GB discs stuck together in effect.

Last edited:

AJW1100

Standard Member
Thank you for your reply, I want DVD-RAM discs so I can copy in fast mode; 4 hours in about 30 minutes is good!
I will go ahead and order some.
I totally agree with your reasoning, makes sense.

Regards
Alan.

MAX1210

Prominent Member
Thank you for your reply, I want DVD-RAM discs so I can copy in fast mode; 4 hours in about 30 minutes is good!
I will go ahead and order some.
I totally agree with your reasoning, makes sense.

Regards
Alan.

Just so you're aware though, those are not DL (dual layer) discs but double sided. So you'll still only get 2 hours in SP per side or 4 hours in LP per side. You have to physically turn the disc over to record to the other side as volvofan mentioned.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom