Panasonic DMR EX78, Viera & Q-Link

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by phil_ossifer, Feb 1, 2009.

1. phil_ossifer

phil_ossifer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can point out if I've missed anything obvious here.

I've recently bought a Panny DMR-EX78 to go with my Panny TX32LXD70 &
    Panny Digibox (Older model in silver...)..

The wiring is as follows:

RF Lead in to DMR-EX78
    AV1 on TX32LXD70 Fully Wired Scart to AV1 on DMR-EX78
    AV2 on Panny Digibox Fully Wired Scart to AV2 on DMR-EX78
    AV1 on Panny Digibox Fully Wired Scart to AV2 on TX32LXD70

Viera Link switched on, on BOTH TV & DVD.
    When I try to access one touch recording or use the Viera link I'm informed
    that the "Feature is Not Available".

I thought I saw in the manual the Viera link is only available with an HDMI cable meeting the latest specification (HDAVI Control 3)

Is anyone else encountering this problem ?

TIA
    phil_ossifer

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Yes - Viera link is only available when using HDMI.

Q link is an option when using scart only. See page 44 of the manual for further guidance.

What I am bewildered about is why you have an additional digibox attached ??
    Both your TV and the EX78 have digital tuners so the additional tuner serves no useful function... [ Unless it is a sky box perhaps? ]

If so it is not wired in the ideal fashion.
    I'll specify once you have clarified the box's function.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  3. phil_ossifer

phil_ossifer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavtech,

Many thanks for your reply. You have saved me from a fruitless excercise in trying to get this arrangement to work :thumbsup:

I can confirm that the Digibox is indeed a Panasonic Sky decoder, as stated one of the earlier models.

If you can point me to a better way of wiring this set-up, I would be grateful.

If possible, I would like to dispense with the SCART leads and use HDMI only..
    is this a wise move?

Thanks
    phil_ossifer

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    You will need both.

Firstly though... regarding aerial connections...you have only mentioned an RF lead into the EX78. You should also have a flylead from the EX78 Aerial Out to the TV aerial IN.

The real purpose of this suggested wiring configuration is to get the best quality for watching of all devices and for copying of sky to the DVDR.
    So:

Use a fully wired scart lead from skybox TV scart socket to AV2 [ Bottom socket ] of the EX78.

[The purpose of using the TV scart outlet of sky is because it is the only socket that produces RGB. ]

Use another fully wired scart lead from AV1 [ Top scart ] of the EX78 to an RGB capable socket on the TV.

HDMI lead from EX78 to TV.

Go into EX78 menus : Functions / To others / Setup / Connections / ..and check that Power save mode is set to OFF.

RGB Pass-through occurs when the EX78 us switched OFF - so you can see sky under that condition.
    HDMI can only work when the EX78 is switched On... so you cannot use the HDMI route when wanting to watch sky when the EX78 is timer recording from its own tuner.
    If the EX78 is not otherwise occupied you can watch sky via HDMI by selecting AV2 as the input on the EX78.

Note that we have a very low opinion of link functions here... because they are very restrictive, and famously unreliable.

If you use Direct TV recording for example... it uses the TV's tuner to do so... by a very low quality route... and it ties up the TV so that you cannot change channel.