Panasonic DMR-EX77EB-K

SRT

Hi,
Does anyone know if this is multiregional and have freeview tuner? I don't
seem to find any reference to it ,confused by the comparer at the Panasonic
site :confused: I've been comparing it to a DMR-EX75EB-S .
I do like the ex75eb but as I am getting a black TV I want to keep to that
colour.tia.
Stuart.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi Stuart - Welcome to the forum.

The 77 does have a freeview tuner.

Unlike the the 75 it does not have an analogue tuner [ according to best currently available information. ]

NO DVDR's are delivered from manufacturers to dealers as Multiregion.

Multi-region capability is an unofficial modification which dealers alone do which the manufacturers will not support.

It invalidates the manufacturer warranty.

The dealers take the responsibility of the guarantee.. but it can produce some grey areas.

AVmaster

Standard Member
I've not seen the Panasonic comparer, but basically the EX77 is a black EX75, but with a more sensitive Freeview tuner, an upscaler to 1080p rather than just 1080i, and support for VIERA Link, which will be an invaluable tool if your buying the TV too ;)

marty2005

Novice Member
But no divx again unless you buy else where in the world (not uk).
Cheaper components - taking advantage of rip-off britain.

AVmaster

Standard Member
I'd hazard a guess to say that the cost saving is on the DIVX decoder rather than the components as most decoders have a license fee attached in order to build them in, such as Dolby & DTS.

Hal_loe

Novice Member
I'd hazard a guess to say that the cost saving is on the DIVX decoder rather than the components as most decoders have a license fee attached in order to build them in, such as Dolby & DTS.

If it's a license fee issue, why would Panasonic bothering paying for the license to manufacture one DVD Player that plays DivX / MPEG4 for the uk market.

AVmaster

Standard Member
The license cost is based on how many units are manufactured. Every individual DVD player & recorder has a fee paid to Dolby to be allowed to have a Dolby Digital decoder & most have another fee for DTS, but having DIVX in only 1 british model means that the retail cost of the recorders is kept low, but if you want DIVX then you have 1 Panasonic player to chose from, or another manufacturers recorder.

SRT

Hi,
and thanks for the replies. I will aim to get a region free version from a supplier when they come on stream (hopefully) as I have a lot of region 1 discs which run well on my good old wharfedale. I am getting a Viera plasma tv and as mentioned- -the VIERA Link will be useful. Not really too distressed by lack of DIVX:)
Stuart.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom