Panasonic DMR-EX773EB recorder & Sky Digital

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by aaronbor, Jul 28, 2012.

1. aaronbor

aaronbor
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to record from Sky Digital to the DMR-EX773EB when the connection is by co-ax?

The recorder is upstairs. The Sky Digital Digibox has an RF output to upstairs (co-ax), where there is also a "TV Link" to control the box (downstairs) remotely.

The recorder is connected to the TV (Samsung LE19R88BD) with co-ax and a 21-pin SCART.

My question is wether it is possible to record Sky programmes on the DVD recorder using this set-up?

My feeling is that it is not. The Panasonic has a digial tuner while the Sky Digibox output is analoge. It is not possible, with this setup, to have a SCART connection from the digibox to the recorder; something which (I think) would permit recording.

I think the options are to (1) forget it (2) move the recorder downstairs (3) upgrade the Digibox in someway or (4) something I haven't thought off!

Any ideas and help very welcome.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    Welcome to the forum.

Your surmises are largely correct.
    It is not possible to record via coax because of no analogue tuner in the '773.

If quality matters to you then option 2 is undoubtedly the best by far.
    A direct connection by scart will give much superior results.

Regarding option 4, it is possible to get video senders that will provide a video signal at the far end... but they are notoriously problematic and quality would not be great.

There is one other possible route - but it requires the TV to be on upstairs...If the TV has an analogue tuner and can pick up the sky box output... and it also has the capability of outputting via its scart, you may be able to pick this up by setting the input selection to AV1 on the '773 and recording.
    The problem with this method is it is impossible to monitor what you are recording.
    The only way you can find out is to test record then playback.

3. aaronbor

aaronbor
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. 4 is an interesting option but not really what I'm looking for so will go with 2. Cheers.