Panasonic DMR EX773 DVD playback problem

MMB1948

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have recorded a lot of DVD's on this machine which were all recorded from the HDD.
They won't playback on this machine but will playback on other DVD players !!!
When inserted in this machine, it will only try and format the disc again
Panasonic have been no help and want me to drive hours to a service place
Any help appreciated as these DVD's are important
Many thanks
Martin

Welcome to the forum.

If the DVD's will playback elsewhere then they are not the problem.

If they are important it is worth considering making copies of them using a disk utility on a PC - or ripping them to the hard disk.

The failure to playback is most likely due to an ageing laser in the EX773... or sub circuit malfunctions due to ageing capacitors in the power supply.

You could speculatively obtain a second hand unit and swap the DVD drive from it... otherwise it requires bench analysis to sort the problem.

Welcome to the forum.

If the DVD's will playback elsewhere then they are not the problem.

If they are important it is worth considering making copies of them using a disk utility on a PC - or ripping them to the hard disk.

The failure to playback is most likely due to an ageing laser in the EX773... or sub circuit malfunctions due to ageing capacitors in the power supply.

You could speculatively obtain a second hand unit and swap the DVD drive from it... otherwise it requires bench analysis to sort the problem.
Hi Gavtech
I maybe should have mentioned that the machine plays all other DVD's so it's only the DVD's recorded on the machine from the HDD that won't play
thanks again
Martin

Hi all,
I have a similar problem, but in reverse as it were. My Machine which is the same model number will accept DVD +RW Discs. However it will not format the Discs anymore. So I use DVD -R Discs where I don’t need to make a copy again. So I record to the HDD ( Hard Drive) then title and shave it ( remove commercials etc). After that I play ‘Russian Roulette and record to the DVD-R Disc. The Disc must contain the same program(s) on it as you cannot copy back to the HDD from these Discs. Russian Roulette ? Thus is because on a whim it could render the Disc useless. It becomes a Disc with the words Disc Protection On. So now useless.
Yes it has been correctly suggested on here that I should do the very impossible. Unless you Folks tell me different of course. Where on Earth would I find Blank DVD Ram Discs?
I’ve have success with these in the past, but they’re impossible to find unless I’m told different on here. My Softeware is a very late version. For some strange reason, my Machine does not like my very preferred option ie., DVD-RW Discs.
Most of the time if you insert a surgically clean DVD-R disc it copies OK. Then I spend ages going through my DVD+RW Discs to find one with space on it will read, Then after all sorts of checks I copy onto this Disc. This will enable me to copy back to the HDD when required. I only do this when I might need a further copy of a Program.
Yes I accept that if I can find the Blank DVD Ram Discs they are loss less etc. Any thoughts on where to get them from? In theory could you format these Blank DVD +RW Discs in a Computer?!

Hi, I would buy a similar machine, they are quite cheap now on eBay, and see if you have the same problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom