• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMR-EX77 U88 error

MagicBoy

Established Member
Evening,

I think the DVD drive has just failed in my EX77 :(

Archived some recordings off a V+ box overnight to the HDD. I've edited them up and had set the first one off burning (SP, fast mode). It got to 48%, revved the drive up then stopped and gave a U88 error. I let it reboot after which it apologised for being unable to fix the recording. The DVD drive is now unable to read or write DVD-R's and makes a loud clonking noise when you insert a disc.

I've powered off, left it a couple of minutes and turned it back on again, still the same.

Now the bad bit - it's 13 months old so it's just out of warranty.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

NinjaMonkeyUK

Prominent Member
Loud clunking noise = new RAM drive on Panasonics.

The good news is Panasonic are usually pretty lenient with warranties. You should be able to get the problem fixed within warranty.

MagicBoy

Established Member
OK, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I would go to the retailer but DSG will just give me the runaround...

Gavtech

Administrator
Have a look at THIS thread , from which you might take encouragement.

MagicBoy

Established Member
I am encouraged.

If that fails, how about buying a the current bottom of the range DVD recorder for parts and stripping the drive out? £120 for a drive, or £125 for a complete unit...

Gavtech

Administrator
I am encouraged.

If that fails, how about buying a the current bottom of the range DVD recorder for parts and stripping the drive out? £120 for a drive, or £125 for a complete unit...

I doubt that there is any mileage in that unfortunately.
You would have to do a great deal of checking of 'very hard to come by' information.... to ensure that identical drives are being used [ and they probably are not. ]

Also, you cannot simply replace the drive ... it must be replaced with the 'digital board' also, as the calibration control for the individual laser resides on there.

I feel if this strategy were possible we would already know about it.

MagicBoy

Established Member
Spoke to Panny who advised to take it to a local dealer for an inspection report and they'll consider the case.

Spoke to the dealer (who was a very nice man) and advises it is likely a faulty RAM drive. He says Panny will likely cover the cost of parts and some of the labour charge.

:D

Gavtech

Administrator
Spoke to Panny who advised to take it to a local dealer for an inspection report and they'll consider the case.

Spoke to the dealer (who was a very nice man) and advises it is likely a faulty RAM drive. He says Panny will likely cover the cost of parts and some of the labour charge.

:D

Good luck.

Keep us informed.

MagicBoy

Established Member
It's back, fixed and fully working.

Needed a new DVD-RAM drive and optical board. Panasonic covered the cost of the parts and a chunk of the labour (a big thank you! :smashin: ). I paid for the repair inspection and the remainder of the labour charge. Far cheaper than a replacement unit and the process was very little trouble, just a couple of phone calls.

Next time I need anything Panasonic I know where I'm going, and it's not an Internet box shifter.

Gavtech

Administrator
It's back, fixed and fully working.

Needed a new DVD-RAM drive and optical board. Panasonic covered the cost of the parts and a chunk of the labour (a big thank you! :smashin: ). I paid for the repair inspection and the remainder of the labour charge. Far cheaper than a replacement unit and the process was very little trouble, just a couple of phone calls.

Next time I need anything Panasonic I know where I'm going, and it's not an Internet box shifter.

Good result. :smashin:

Good luck with it.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom