Panasonic DMR-EX77 OSD Contrast Too High!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LambyPie, Jan 15, 2008.

1. LambyPie

LambyPie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm using a Panasonic DMR-EX77 DVD Recorder with a Panasonic TX-32PL1 CRT television via high quality RGB Scart. The problem is the contrast of the On Screen Display - it's far too high! It's so high that the OSD actually flickers and looks awful, the TV Guide in particular shows this up and is horrible to look at. I always have the contrast on my TV pretty low anyway (about 1/3 of maximum) but the only way to get the OSD of the EX77 to look anywhere near acceptable is to set the contrast to minimum which of course results in the main picture being too dark and is wrong for my other AV devices such as my Humax PVR. There is no option in the EX77's menu to lower OSD contrast in any way.

I'm actually on my second EX77 now as the first had exactly the same problem so I'm guessing it's a generic issue with this model. I'm sure this issue wouldn't be so much of an issue when the EX77 is hooked up to a flat panel display as the the technology used by flat panels would tend to eliminate the flicker of static OSD displays. But I'm perfectly happy with my CRT and can't afford to change it for the time being anyway. I've never had bad results using other devices via RGB Scart, the picture has always been clear, sharp and pleasing on the eye.

So I want to ask - has anyone else got their EX77 hooked up to a CRT? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Because this is just not acceptable to my eyes! :thumbsdow

2. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I have the EX87 (virtually identical apart from hard disc size) linked to a 9 year old Toshiba CRT, and the contrast of the OSD is fine, never gave it a second thought.

3. bigalt

bigalt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    got mine hooked up to a 28inch tosh and no problems here (RGB SCART)

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,058
    Welcome to the forum.

Your account points to an issue with your TV ... not the EX77.
    No issue of this type has ever been described here... and you have had two units which behaved the same.

There is some kind of discrepancy between the feed from the TV's own tuner system and the RGB input.... OR ... and this should be considered, your own perception of it.

On screen displays are very simplistically generated graphics with no sophistication. Evidently your TV is handling these in a way that you find offensive... but I doubt there is anything wrong with either ... maybe an unfortunate mismatch.

The problem may be diffused somewhat by examining the brightness / contrast ratio and setting it up from scratch... but either way ... it all points to the TV being the culprit.

That you regard normal viewing as satisfactory, suggests the RGB amplifiers have a poor linear response.

5. LambyPie

LambyPie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies and the welcome. :)

Gavtech, you may be correct in stating that this is an issue with my TV but in that case I find it very strange that no other AV device I have ever connected to the set has ever had this problem. AV sources connected via RGB Scart have always produced sharp, stable, pleasing OSD graphics.

I've played about with the contrast / brightness ratio of the TV but it hasn't solved the problem at all (setting contrast to minimum makes the OSD look better but makes the main picture too dark). I wonder if there's a hidden service menu on the EX77 that allows contrast adjustment of the OSD? Maybe that's hoping too much...

Anyway, I really do appreciate the input and help, any more suggestions very welcome. :)

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,058
    I am not aware of the OSD being adjustable in any way... As I said earlier these really are simplistic and will represent the extremes of contrast and high frequency transitions that your TV will ever have to bear ... Not typical of normal programming.

But I read elsewhere that you have a Panasonic Plasma ... so surely it would be relatively simple to connect the EX77 to that to establish one way or the other whether it is the TV or the DVDR that has the problem?

7. LambyPie

LambyPie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right Gavtech, we do have a Panasonic plasma in another room so I will endeavour to test the EX77 with that.

However, it's the CRT I really need it for so it has to be acceptable on that set really. Ideally I'd like to have another CRT to test it with as I suspect a flat panel display won't be prone to high-contrast 'flicker'.

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,058
    It would nail down which unit is responsible though.

The 'high contrast flicker ' suggests a overdrive safety circuit kicking in and 'pumping'.

Good luck.

9. LambyPie

LambyPie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tested the EX77 with our Panasonic plasma and the look of the OSD was much better though still not pleasant in my opinion (the EPG has to be ugliest I've seen).

As I expected, the high contrast of the OSD did not cause any flickering on the plasma panel. This would be great news if I wanted to use it with the plasma, but the EX77 is for my CRT.

So my conclusion is that the EX77 has an issue with certain CRT's, maybe just mine, but I doubt that very much as I've never had issues with it before and all other AV devices look fine.

As a side point, I noticed that I could adjust the colour when using the RGB Scart on the plasma - an RGB Scart connection on my CRT means that colour adjustment has no effect.

Anyway, I'm not happy with the EX77 so it'll be going back to the retailer tomorrow as I was promised a refund in the event that the second unit had the same problem.

Thanks for everyone's input, in particular Gavtech - I really do appreciate your help. :)