Panasonic DMR-EX77/87 Functionality vs Sony RDR-HXD870/970

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KentKruzer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. KentKruzer

KentKruzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was on the brink of buying on of the latest Panasonic DVD HDD recorders when I discovered the new Sony had PVR functions like pausing live TV, series link.
    However the Panasonic website states
    "You'll soon wonder how you ever lived without smart and unique features like Time Slip. Want to watch a recorded programme from the beginning while still continuing to record it Or how about watching a previously stored programme while recording a new one. DVD-RAM lets you do all this and much more- even pause 'live' TV! And thanks to Super Multi Format compatibility, our 2006 recorders can now record or playback any DVD format. How's that for hassle-free home entertainment?"

So what functions are available on the Panny? I know they both are good and have their issues but I would like to see what functions are available.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,568
    Download the user manual here and you can find out yourself.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Functionally, they seem pretty similar. The Sony does have a "pause live TV" function which the Panasonic doesn't. You can do basically the same with the Panasonic by 1) starting a recording of the channel you are watching, 2) using Chase play to go to the start of the recording, then you can pause/play. I.e. they both do it, but it is easier with the Sony.

I'm more concerned about the EPG bug (Sony) and design flaw with aspect ratio handling (Panasonic) reported on this forum. I'm trying to decide which is worst, or if there is an alternative.

4. KentKruzer

KentKruzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JayCee, but I looked there and all you get is 2-page sheet, no detailed user instructions.
    OOOPS!! Just found the manual under the EB model. Thanks.

Redsox_Mark, I know what you mean. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic as I am probably going for a Panasonic 37in Plasma and it will mean the Viera link will work.
    I'm now also considering a V+ box instead for PVR, and buying a surround sound system!! I sometimes think you can get too much info and never make a decision.:eek:

Anybody point me at a good user review of the Panasonic, or use one with a Panasonic TV??

5. chemical man

chemical man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I have the Panasonic EX-85, and recently bought the Sony HXD970 for my dad to go with his Sony LCD television. But the Sony DVD recorder is utter crap compared to the Panasonic. The menu's don't compare and every time you access the tuner guide it never goes straight to the normal channels like BBC1,BBC2, Itv1, Channel 4, Channel 5, you have to search through the guide to find the channel you want to record which is a complete pain, and then when you find the channel you want to record it moves past it on its own. Plus recording is more time consuming than the Panasonic.

6. Asriel

Asriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    When I press the guide button for the digital epg, it starts with the channel I am on, as you'd expect.

Not sure what this means, recording is done in real time, do you mean setting the timer? It's only a couple of button presses from the digital EPG. Or do you mean dubbing to a DVD (10-12 mins in high speed mode for a 4.7GB dvd).

7. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Hi.
    Could you give me an idea as to which of these produces the best recording at SP mode please? I have the 870, but I've read somewhere that the Panasonic is slightly better where SP recording is concerned.

Thanks for your help!:smashin: