Panasonic DMR-EX75EB HELP!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JaySlater, Jan 4, 2007.

1. JaySlater

JaySlater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys!

Thanks to your advice and support, I eventually succumbed to buying a Panasonic DMR-EX75EB machine yesterday and the picture when I play discs is very, very nice (goodbye Marantz player!). However, the manual is a bit of a monster, to say the very least.

Here's what I want to do and how do I go about it:

1. Copy old VHS recordings to DVD via HDD.
    2. Also, I would very much like to copy home recordings on disc to the HDD for me to copy back to DVD.

Can anyone make this into sense for me?

Much appreciated.

Jay

2. dbuttigieg

dbuttigieg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jay

1. I too have just bought an EX75 and have it connected to my VCR's scart output via AV2. I then simply select the input on the Panny to AV2 start the vcr playing then press record on the Panny. This works fine for non-protected videos but not for commercially produced ones which have copy protection built in. Once the video has been recorded on to the HDD I then edit it as required then copy it to DVD using the copy or advanced copy menu.

2. Copying home recordings on DVD to another DVD is a similar option. Use the advanced copy option to copy the recording to the HDD then use it again to copy it back from the HDD to a blank DVD. Once again you can't perform this funtion for DVDs with copy protection built in.

Hope this helps

Dave

3. Derek L

Derek L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends what outputs you have on the VCR - I link the SVHS out from the video to the front panel input on the Panasonic (AV3 on mine) - you also need two phono - phono lead for the sound. (You may have to use SCARt to phone depending on the VCR). If you haven't got SVHS on the VCR use the composite video.

Now set the Panasonic channel to AV3 and you should get the VCR output on the Panasonic (again it depends on how you have connected the Panasonic to the TV) but you should be able to see the VCR output on the TV via the Panasonic.

Select HDD on the Pansonic.

Press record on the Panasonic
    Start the video.
    Leave until the tape has finished.

Stop the Panasonic.
    Go to the Navigator screen and you should now have the VHS programme on the HDD.

Edit it if you want to (to remove the begining and end and adverts too if there are any).

Return

Press the function key

Select Dubbing
    Put a blank DVD in the Panasonic
    Select the item you want to record on the DVD from the navigator screen in the dubbing setup.
    Set the speed (usually SP but you may want to use FR if the programme is a full VHS tape)
    You should now have a list of items to Dub
    Press start dubbing
    Confirm rthe action when requested.

Away you go.

Finalize the disc when finished (Function, Disc Management, Finalize) or you won't be able to play it on other DVD players.

Good Luck

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,049
  5. JaySlater

JaySlater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great guns, guys, and many thanks.

Can I presume I simply put the DVD into the Panny and then record on to the HDD or do I have connect another DVD player to play from?

I'm getting there slowly! :)

6. Derek L

Derek L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So long as the DVD is not copy protected you should be able to dub from the DVD to HD

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,049
    As Derek L says above you should have no problem provided it is not a commercial DVD.

Note that if the original disk is a RAM disk you will be able to copy losslessy at high speed to and from the hard disk.

With other disks you will have to copy in real time to the hard disk [ thus re-encoding which involves loss ]

If you record that copy with 'the Record for High speed copy' pre-enabled, you would then be able to record a second DVD from the hard disk at high speed and losslessly.

8. JaySlater

JaySlater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, been playing around.

Both the DVD recorder and my TV are NTSC compatible. Using the advance recording settings, I put in my NTSC old movie to record to the HDD and this comes up! Any ideas?

"warning: Incompatible television system setting"

Help! Much appreciated,

Jay

9. JaySlater

JaySlater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or does the machine have tobe cracked to record NTSC on to HDD when it can also play NTSC and region one?

10. JaySlater

JaySlater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh. Just tried an R2 disc to record to the HDD and it works fine.

How can I now do NTSC?

There's a beer in it for you all!

11. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,049
    It is probable that you have timer programmes waiting to occur. When you programmed those, the machine effectively locks into PAL mode.

It is a known issue which arises because no machine can be in 2 modes at the same time ... and when set for a timer recording to occur, it is locked in Pal mode. [ ... that is when you live in a PAL region and your normal default is PAL ]

You can try taking it out of timer mode or otherwise you will have to empty your timer programming. I am not sure which and I do not have a machine to test.

12. JaySlater

JaySlater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gav!

Any way do you know I can reset it as I am new this!!!

Stella coming your way, sir.

13. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,049
    You should not need to do any resetting. As long as there are no programmmes waiting to record or it is not in timer mode, it should work ok.
    [ as I said before I am not sure which works ]

14. farnworthless

farnworthless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to enter the Set up Menu (Functions, then Others) and then go own to "Connection". From there you change TV system from PAL to NTSC.

You don't actually need to take it out of timer mode to do this. In fact, if you are not in timer mode, then you don't need to; in that case the DVD would just play automatically (in NTSC) without your needing to manually change anything.

But it's important to remember that - like has been said - you can only be in one mode.

So when you are in NTSC mode watching a DVD (or whatever), there's no point trying to record anything off air during the playback, because the off air PAL program will be recorded as NTSC and will be pretty much unwatchable later. {So you need to remember to manually switch back to PAL later if you've been watching an NTSC source with the timer set}

I assume you'll be able to record your NTSC source though, and the recording will still be NTSC.

Let us know if it works.

15. Nottman

Nottman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, I can second that

16. JaySlater

JaySlater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! Amazing! Looks like it's recording after your good advice. I'll let it run and shall get back to you. Even though it has recorded NTSC to the HHD, it should copy on to DVD as PAL, right?

Once again, many thanks, people.

Jay

17. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    No it will still be NTSC. It's not so much the 'NTSC', which actually refers to the way the colour is encoded in the composite signal, it's the scan frequencies (525/60 in the case of NTSC) that can't be changed by the recorder.

18. JaySlater

JaySlater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fellahs!

Okay, got that. So I copy it to disc as NTSC.

But it should play NTSC on most multi-region machines, right?

Cheers!

Jay

19. ChainsawDude

ChainsawDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thats right, a DVD you record yourself on a set top DVD recorder will not have a region code so the player will not even need to be multi region, just able to play NTSC.
    NB region code is a separate issue to the NTSC/PAL issue.

20. RMK

RMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the TH-42PE50B plasma and have just purchased the above DVD recorder and, having been a fan of this forum for ages, wondered if someone would be able to help me with a connection question?

According to the DVD manual, the Q Link functions are not available with connection to a TV via Component Video. Is this true?

I have connected the DVD player to the TV using a good quality gold scart-to-scart cable. However, I also have a gold scart-to-component video cable. Depending on the answer to the above, would the scart-to-component cable provide a better quality connection?
    I hope this makes sense.

Kind regards

RMK.

21. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,049
    Yes
    Well no. It does not entirely make sense...because the kind of component you are referring to in the first part of your question [ Y,Pb,Pr ] does not emerge from any scart socket but comes only from the component phono connectors.

I think you must be under a misapprehension regarding your 'Scart to component' lead.
    Only RGB 'component' emerges from scarts so active conversion would be required, for it to be regarded as a scart to component lead. But there would be little point as the unit will not give you the benefit of component by that route.

Incidentally, the main principle benefit of the true component connections, would be to offer you the option of progressive scanning ... if your display device supports it.

22. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    RGB is a component signal, just as much as the various forms of Y + colour difference signals. But the term 'component' has also become synonymous with the BNC inputs and outputs that often only carry YPbPr, and YPbPr is also commonly called 'component'. Some display devices can accept RGB or YPbPr on their component inputs, hence the application for scart to component leads.

There is no difference in quality between RGB and YPbPr. There are both capable of carrying three full bandwidth components of a video signal (unlike S-Video or composite). The advantage of 'component' over RGB is that most if not all recorders only provide the option of progressive on their 'component' outputs. A progressive ouput can give better results when playing commercial DVDs that have been transferred from film. But this is a complex topic - see this article.

23. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,049
    Thanks Ian. I wasn't aware of that.

Do you know if they employ menu driven switching or do they auto-detect the type of component?

24. RMK

RMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the reply guys. Very much appreciated.

Regards

RMK

25. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Oops, I've corrected this typo.

Hi Gavin

I've never used one so I don't know, and I've been struggling to find an example. It was an off the top of my head statement, but I'm sure I've seen component inputs where the BNC terminals have been labelled Y/G, Pb/R, Pr/B, or similar.

Auto-detection might be difficult unless you could rely on one always having separate syncs and the other not.

I also vaguely recollect seeing that scarts are sometimes used to provide component outputs, though it's uncommon and non-standard.

The leads seem to be readily available if you search in Google for 'scart to component'. And it looks like some of them are scart to phono rather than scart to BNC (similar the composite + stereo type but connected differently).

26. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    doesnt the passive scart component have 5 connectors? 3 for the colour difference and 2 for the scan? (v/h)

which means needing 5 inputs on the device you are inputting to.....if it doesnt have those then you cant use it, instead you need an active (powered) RGB Scart to Component convertor (a lá QED's QCV or JS Tech)...

or am i wibbling on about something completely different?....its been a long week..lol