Panasonic DMR EX75 Vs Sony RDR HXD 860

P

Ptah_Gib

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Sony RDR HXD860, and although it has great features and picture quality, I can't use its freeview tuning capabilites as there is no freeview where I live (Gibraltar). I can record off other inputs (Sat Box and VCR) but this is quite messy when I have to use the timer etc.

I am thinking of replacing this with a Panasonic DMR EX75, which I can get with Divx from Spain (which is next door!).

Any opinions on which of these two DVD models is best, and what are the differences between the two feature-wise, (e.g. I understand that the Panny cannot record to HD and view a DVD at the same time - is this true?) I know opinions are just that, but any help on pros and cons of each would be appreciated.

Apologies if there is a thread somewhere just for this - if so, please point me in the right direction

Cheers:lease: :thumbsup:

Any opinions on which of these two DVD models is best, and what are the differences between the two feature-wise, (e.g. I understand that the Panny cannot record to HD and view a DVD at the same time - is this true?) I know opinions are just that, but any help on pros and cons of each would be appreciated.

There has been a long running thread about a comparison between these models but I cannot find it at present.

For the moment - The Panasonic DOES allow you to watch a DVD - [ or another recording from the HDD ] whilst recording to the HDD ... as long as it is a PAL disk.
What it cannot do, is deal with two different TV systems simultaneously - ie PAL and NTSC... as it would have to do if recording to the HDD in PAL and attempting to play an NTSC disc, but this applies to all DVDR's.

They are both fine and able machines. It is just a question of finding the one which would suit you best.

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Sony RDR HXD860, and although it has great features and picture quality, I can't use its freeview tuning capabilites as there is no freeview where I live (Gibraltar). I can record off other inputs (Sat Box and VCR) but this is quite messy when I have to use the timer etc.

I am thinking of replacing this with a Panasonic DMR EX75, which I can get with Divx from Spain (which is next door!).

Apologies if there is a thread somewhere just for this - if so, please point me in the right direction

Cheers:lease: :thumbsup:

EX75 is a well regarded machine Ptah, somewhere on the 860 thread is bloke with both who rates the EX75 more highly.

However, it'll be exactly the same situation with the Ex75 as it is with the 860 for you as the EX75 only has a digital tuner so it'll be manual timers.

However, it'll be exactly the same situation with the Ex75 as it is with the 860 for you as the EX75 only has a digital tuner so it'll be manual timers.

Hi Bigtim

The EX75 actually has a dual analogue digital tuner... or at least it does in UK territories.
Without researching it I don't know the status in the OP's territory.

Thanks,

The Spanish version of the EX75 also does have analogue tuner (and digital).

What is a big plus for me is the fact that the Panny seems to get better reviews for it upscaling capabilites than the Sony - I have tried the HDMI upscaling on the Sony and the image quality isn't much different from my Scart connection.

I will look on the 860 thread for the user who has both.

Cheers:thumbsup:

Thanks,

The Spanish version of the EX75 also does have analogue tuner (and digital).

What is a big plus for me is the fact that the Panny seems to get better reviews for it upscaling capabilites than the Sony - I have tried the HDMI upscaling on the Sony and the image quality isn't much different from my Scart connection.

I will look on the 860 thread for the user who has both.

Cheers:thumbsup:

dont expect massive improvements using the machine to upscale, if your TV is relatively new then its own internal scaler will most likely do a better job anyhow.......
buy a dedicated £1,500+ scaler and then you might find things get a fair bit better ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom