Panasonic DMR-EX75 vs Pioneer 545

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvdcompare, Jan 2, 2007.

1. dvdcompare

dvdcompare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Which out of these DVD/HD recorders would people recommend on buying? I like the fact the Panasonic has an SD slot and Optical Digital out but I think the Pioneer uint looks nicer and has the jukebox functionality. However it doesn't have Optical Digital out.

I will be using it on a 28" Sony CRT 16:9 TV with Sky and TiVo.

Thanks.

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

Don't forget their is no sound difference between optical and co-axial digital connections, and you can buy a tiny box that converts co-axial digital to optical from Maplins for £15.00, possibly cheaper elsewhere on the net, so that can keep your options open.

The Pioneer 545HX has had reports of problems recording from Sky+ where the recorder thinks the source is copy protected, not sure if this affects everyone with this model or just a faulty batch. The Pioneer also has GuidePlus so it will control your Sky box as well as providing an EPG for most of the Sky channels.

The Panasonic has issues with recording widescreen sources to DVD as it treats them as 4:3 and does not include GuidePlus so can not change the channels on your Sky box.

You will not be able to make use of the HDMI output on either make with your TV, not that it makes any difference anyway to picture quality, so unless you need the USB gimmicks and Firewire In (note Firewire in does not give you better quality anyway just the convenience of a single wire connection and remote control), go for the Pioneer 540HX, it's cheaper as it lacks the HDMI, Firewire and USB gimmicks, but is just the same otherwise.

Regards

Phil

3. leocohen

leocohen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same dilemma at the moment - which one to choose.

The Panasonic is apparently also showing some problems tuning freeview channels with the screen going black.

The way I see it, the Pioneer has the advantage of divx playback, but has a very poor remote and lacks HDMI.

Leo

4. dvdcompare

dvdcompare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks.

I will be upgrading my TV to an HD one eventually (within 2 years probably) so is it not worth me getting the HDMI functionality now? Or will the TV upscale for me via SCART anyway?

5. dvdcompare

dvdcompare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The 545 has HDMI. I am not too fussed about the remote as I have a Harmony all in one remote.

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

I've had HDMI on my TV and compared it to SCART or Component you can't tell any difference as the TV upscales anyway and you can't turn SD into HD no matter what you use. It's all a marketing gimmick in my opinion, save the cash.

The Pioneer Freeview tuner (based on a NEC chip, the same as used in the Sony VTX-800 box) has been rock solid for me, and even pics up a picture without an aerial!

Regards

Phil

7. mattgod69

mattgod69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have brought the Pioneer unit (545). I chose it over the panny simply becuase of the DivX playback. I am using the Digital EPG but it is very very slow to load. Is anyone else having these issues. I see about the GuidePlus. Can you use this with all the digital channels? I thought this was for the analogue reception?? The manual goes on about it for ages too..... can you select the programme to record etc??

Finally, the remote is a bit cheap looking and the sliding flap is rubbish, but the guide and navigator buttons are large which is better than the panny.....

Good machine though apart from these issues......