Panasonic DMR-EX75: too old or merely faulty?

Bert Coules

Prominent Member
Reaction score
With my existing TV roof aerial (installed some ten years ago) I can get excellent Freeview coverage on a cheap Tvonics set-top box and also on an unbranded portable TV with a built-in tuner. But my Panasonic DMR-EX75 DVD/HDD/Freeview box detects no available channels at all.

Is this because the tuner in the relatively elderly Panasonic is not sensitive enough to work with an older aerial these days? Or could it simply be that the Panny is defective?

Many thanks.

Bert

Last edited:
With my existing TV roof aerial (installed some ten years ago) I can get excellent Freeview coverage on a cheap Tvonics set-top box and also on an unbranded portable TV with a built-in tuner. But my Panasonic DMR-EX75 DVD/HDD/Freeview box detects no available channels at all.

Is this because the tuner in the relatively elderly Panasonic is not sensitive enough to work with an older aerial? Or could it simply be that the Panny is defective?

Many thanks.

Bert

This is a well known problem requiring a moderately simple repair.

I'll return presently with a link to the relevant thread.

Here is the thread.

Basically, to simplify what is now a very long thread, you need to replace capacitor C1533... and whilst there you are advised to replace C1530 next to it.

If you have caught it soon enough that is all that is required and this can be done from the top with minimal dismantling.

If it has gone too far, a small 8 pin IC on the underside of the main board has to be replaced but this requires a complete dismantle.

The thread describes all the methods involved ... and many members have successfully completed the repair.

Gavtech, many thanks for that. I did search around for the answer but for some reason didn't turn up that particular thread; I'll take a look.

Replacing components is not something I'm too happy about tackling, but perhaps I can summon up the courage - either that or find a local engineer who'll do it.

Bert

Last edited:
Gavtech, I do have one question about fixing the fault: I'll post it in the other thread, which still seems to be active.

Bert

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom