Panasonic DMR-EX75 No Freeview Fault

For anyone else trying to source, here is a high temperature type that is probably suitable.

It is rated at 10V and is 16 mm high... I don't know the size of the original.

( Edit October 2014 - I have found this ebay supplier to be a good and quick source.)

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
For anyone else trying to source, here is a high temperature type that is probably suitable.

It is rated at 10V and is 16 mm high... I don't know the size of the original.

I went for this from Farnell.

They charged me only 20p (INCLUDING P&P!) and the cap arrived the next day.

Took only a minute or too to fit, new cap is a fair bit bigger, but no problem with size.

Tuner works 100%.

Took only a minute or too to fit, new cap is a fair bit bigger, but no problem with size.

Tuner works 100%.

Great stuff... and a real bargain.

Great stuff... and a real bargain.

Thanks very much for your help, Gav.

I was moments away from another trip to Richer sounds.

As well as costing me £150 I'm guessing it would have automatically invited the imbeciles at TV Licensing to resume their monthly, baseless threats and unnannounced visits!

I owe you a pint...

Cheers!

Tuner works 100%.

I think I'm going to have a go at this.
Question: Looking at the position of the cap that needs replacing, do you need to remove that PCB to get to the underside in order to solder it in place? or could you snip the legs off and solder the new cap to the exisiting legs?

Thanks,
Mark

You need to remove the small pcb, which is placed on top of the mainboard with the faulty cap, but you don't need to get to the bottom of the mainboard (this would be difficult). I just snipped the legs off the old cap and trimmed the legs of the new and soldered them together. There's space for the new cap to sit sideways as well, which means bigger ones can be accommodated.

Word of warning follows -
I made a 'hilarious' mistake when I did mine - I accidentally trapped one of the ribbon cables of the DVD drive under the small board, then screwed the board back in. Guess where one of the screws went? Right through the ribbon cable ... I ended up buying a broken player on eBay and replacing bits of the DVD drive (cost me another £20 including packing)!
So make sure those ribbon cables don't get trapped anywhere!

I think I'm going to have a go at this.
Question: Looking at the position of the cap that needs replacing, do you need to remove that PCB to get to the underside in order to solder it in place? or could you snip the legs off and solder the new cap to the exisiting legs?

Thanks,
Mark

There's nothing to stop you doing that.... provided there is space available.. and that the legs on the replacement are short enough so that the capacitor cannot rotate and short itself.

Its desirable to keep lead lengths short in any case to avoid instability problems which can otherwise arise.

Don't forget to observe polarity.

Best of luck with this... and come back if you need further guidance.

Take your time, keep everything clean, have good lighting.

Thanks for all the great advice...ordered a couple of caps from Farnell and will pop into town at the weekend to get a soldering iron/solder...fingers crossed.

Mark

Thanks for all the great advice...ordered a couple of caps from Farnell and will pop into town at the weekend to get a soldering iron/solder...fingers crossed.

Mark

One other point Mark - When disconnecting and removing things, make notes as you go of each action ... and / or if you have camera facilities take close ups of the areas you are going to dismantle so that you have a reference if necessary.

Good luck with the job.

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to all who posted on this thread.

My problem : DMR-EX25 suddenly no freeview signal. Sound familiar? Opened up my machine after reading above posts, and low and behold a blown C1533 cap.

Took Gavtech's advice and purchased new cap from Farnell. 20 pence?? How can they do it. Free first class post and next day delivery. The packaging alone would be more than this, let alone the cost of postage, labour, part, etc. Fantastic service.

Anyway machine now back up and running. One small point to make Gavtech. The original blown cap in my machine was the high temperature 105 degree variety and not the 85 degree one. Not encouraging, as obviously a weak point in the design of these circuits. Hopefully the 10v Farnell cap, as opposed to the 6.3v original, might be a bit more robust. Can but hope.

Not impressed with Panny reliability I have to say. This machine was a direct replacement for my original purchase in 2006, which was the DMR-EX20S. This bit the dust within the first year, and the retailer was taking forever to repair it, so I insisted on a replacement. They caved in and gave me the EX25 above, which I have just repaired. My dad had to send back his Panny machine which brokedown just out of warranty. Panasonic did come good, apart from about £10 costs, but who needs the hassle? So to sum up, 100% failure record. 3 out of 3. Not bad Eh?

Anyway, enough moaning. The main point of this post is just to say a big thanks again for all the good advice. Without which I could'nt have repaired my DVD recorder for 20p!

....and it worked...fantastic...
Total cost of repair..40p
Borrowed a soldering iron off a mate...took about 30 mins in total.
Thanks again to all the great advice on this thread.
Cheers..

Mark

....and it worked...fantastic...
Total cost of repair..40p
Borrowed a soldering iron off a mate...took about 30 mins in total.
Thanks again to all the great advice on this thread.
Cheers..

Mark

Well done Mark.

Great news.

I have the same problem with my DMR EX75 of not being able to receive freeview digital channels yet I can still receive analogue channels. I opened my box and checked the capacitor you pointed out but mine doesn't seem to be blown out on top. Is it still possible that the capacitor is faulty? Is there any other reasons why I cant receive digital channels?

I have the same problem with my DMR EX75 of not being able to receive freeview digital channels yet I can still receive analogue channels. I opened my box and checked the capacitor you pointed out but mine doesn't seem to be blown out on top. Is it still possible that the capacitor is faulty? Is there any other reasons why I cant receive digital channels?

Welcome to the forum.

It is entirely possible that it is the problem despite being unblown.

Given that it is so cheap to replace and that this has turned into a stock fault it is the most likely cause of your problem and is the first thing you should try.

I think it is likely you will have success.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking on ebay for a replacement capacitor but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I know it needs to be 680uF 10v. I have found a Panasonic FC series 10V 680UF LOW ESR capacitor. Will this be suitable.

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking on ebay for a replacement capacitor but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I know it needs to be 680uF 10v. I have found a Panasonic FC series 10V 680UF LOW ESR capacitor. Will this be suitable.

Yes.

Alternative here.

Don't forget to observe polarity.

I am a real newbee in soldering this stuff... how can I be sure to make it right on this polarity issue?

someone has a picture with the work done?

thanks

I am a real newbee in soldering this stuff... how can I be sure to make it right on this polarity issue?

someone has a picture with the work done?

thanks

See the picture in post no 9 on page 1 of this thread.

Note how + and - is printed on the board beneath the capacitor.

...and note that every capacitor has a stripe down the negative side.

The stripe and -ve notation can be seen more clearly on the capacitor behind the drum shaped black inductor.

Just match the negative stripe of the capacitor to the negative hole in the PCB.

thanks, thanks and thanks again.

I made it very easily, I spent a couple of euros and now everything works PERFECT!

I only had to substitute that capacitor with a 85 instead of 105 because I couldn't find one, but that was the problem even if mine wasn't blown up!

The official Panasonic assistance asked me 20 euros just to check which was the problem!!!!

:D:D:D:D

Thanks for your advice Gavtech. You saved me a few hundred dollars. The new capacitor worked a treat. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your advice Gavtech. You saved me a few hundred dollars. The new capacitor worked a treat. :thumbsup:

Excellent. Well done.

Most grateful to all before me re this problem, and a special mention to ocoro02 - I saw how easy it would be to trap that small brown ribbon cable and put a screw through it ! Could so easily have done it myself.

Two things for those that follow - 1. The very small pcb above needs slackening off first, so as to allow the larger one to be slid out, after all ribbons unplugged, and, 2. it's easy to miss the fact that the top (main) pcb that needs removal is actually plugged into the lower board, and on removal needs pulling upwards, and on replacement needs firmly pressing down again. I omitted step 2 and found that I had only B/W tuner output - resolved when the top board was properly located.

A very satisfying job all round.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom