Panasonic DMR-EX75 - No Dolby from cable box

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nuphonic, Apr 22, 2007.

1. nuphonic

nuphonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Just received my EX75 and need some help.

I have the following config.
    Antenna
    Antenna connected to RF IN on my Digital cable (German cable Samsung DCB-S305G) box. [RF OUT] from cable box connected to RF IN on EX75. RF OUT from EX75 connected to CRT TV.

SCART
    SCART connected from AV1 (TV) from my cable box to the AV2 (EXT) SCART socket on my EX75.
    SCART connected from AV1 (TV) on the EX75 to the SCART socket on the CRT TV.

Audio
    SPDIF (opt) on the EX75 connected to the digital amplifier.

When the cable box is playing stereo then we don't have a problem. When the programme being played is switched to Dolby Digital then no audio is played.
    This seems clear to me as there is no digital audio connection between the cable box and the EX75. However I'm not sure how to fix this.
    Previously I had the cable box directly (via optical) connected to the digital amplifier but now I need the EX75 connecting to the digital amp in order to get DD when playing DVD's. I can use a 2nd optical cable and connect the cable box and another optical input on the digital amp but then I would not be able to record a TV programme with dolby digital. Is this not possible? Would I need DVB-T for this? I’m basically taking a digital source (cable), converting this to analogue (scart) and back to digital (dvd/hdd) again anyway right?

Is it possible to connect digital audio from my cable box to the EX75 and then digital audio from the EX75 to the digital amp? :confused:

Couple more questions
    1. Should I use the AV2 (EXT) scart connection on my cable box instead? Or what are the differences, does it matter?
    2. The EPG on the EX75 does not work for the digital cable. Is it only possible when using DVB-T or similar to have this?
    Many Thanks in advance!!

2. nuphonic

nuphonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can no one help here?

I could connect the cable box to the digital amp via a optical link and do the same for the EX75, then I could watch both TV and DVD's in DD. However I can not record cable TV in DD. Why does the EX75 not havea optical input?

Thanks

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Firstly, you need to change your EX75 audio settings to match the type of amplifier you have connected.

Go to Functions / To others / Setup / Sound... and select the appropriate setting in 'Digital Audio Output'

See page 49 of the manual for your options.[ uk manual - May be different if you have a German manual ]

Then in use , if you have any audio issues, press the display button [ bottom row of remote ] which throws up picture and sound status and options.

However , this may not deal with the problem ... I have no idea what the cable box may be doing .. and it may be that IT only outputs the fancy stuff on it's optical output.

If your digital amplifier does not have enough inputs, you can get optical switchers to allow you to connect more than one source.

Yes - EPG will only work with a DVB-T input.

4. wesd

wesd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    AFAIK, no dvd/hdd recorder has optical inputs so it isn't possible to record DD. Phillips made a box with optical inputs some time ago but pulled the plug on it just before it due for release. Doing this at such a late stage of development suggests to me that they ran into some sort of licensing problem with dolby labs or the film studios rather than technical problems. I haven't heard of any other companies even planning to include digital inputs.

Not that it matters since I'm on NTL who don't even broadcast in DD!

5. nuphonic

nuphonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

But if I only have SCART and antenna connected between the cable box and the EX75 then is it not impossible for the EX75 to receive DD from an external source. How else can the cable box output DD than over the optical cable?

Just read wesd's mail too. Makes sense. So if it is 'impossible' (except using HDMI - right?) to record DD then I can live with this (i have no choice right? :) ), I just wanted to make sure that I wanted missing something.

But another limitation i would have (assuming one optical cable connected each from cable/ex75 to the amplifier - ampliferr has 3-4 optical sources) is that i can only watch something which I am recording in stereo. It's not possible to watch someting in DD and record it in stereo. Right?

Many Many Thanks

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the DD output from the cable/Sky boxes needs to go to whatever you use to amplify (ie a AV receiver/amp).......if you connect by Scart through your DVD-R to your TV then obviously your TV can have conventional stereo sound, however in Sky's case you have to switch from DolbyD to Stereo in the setup menus, i dont know how cable operates....

as mentioned nothing can currently record DD/DTS.....a philips machine was due to be released but never surfaced commercially in the end.....again as mentioned this was most likely due to licensing/copyright issues.....if people could back up broadcast DD movies on to disc then the broadcasters/producers would lose out on replay profit......

7. wesd

wesd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There's no reason why you can't. DD isn't a type of signal - it's just a set of codes embedded in a normal stereo signal which will be detected and decoded by a suitable receiver. Your amplifier has a DD decoder so it will recognize the codes and play the DD soundtrack. The ex75 doesn't have a DD decoder (and can't record the DD codes anyway) so it will simply record the normal stereo signal. Since your in Germany, your cable box will differ from mine and I'm using a Toshiba recorder but my cabling setup should work for you.

I have scart cables running from the cable box to the recorder and from the recorder to the TV; this is all I need to watch and record cable tv and to watch dvd's in stereo. I have an optical cable running from the cable box to the amplifier - even though NTL doesn't transmit DD, I believe the sound will be better over a digital connection and NTL might start to transmit DD (hopefully before hell freezes over). I also have an optical cable from the recorder to the amplifier to allow me to listen to dvds in DD.

Another way of looking at it (although not technically completely accurate) is that all video is carried via scart from cable to recorder to tv and all sound (DD or otherwise) is carried from cable and recorder to the amplifier via optical cable. This is a very common way of connecting the combination of cable/sky, dvd recorder, amplifier and tv and should work ok for you.

The only other cable you mentioned is hdmi. I don't have any hdmi enabled equipment so I can't help you there but I don't think it will allow you to record DD. It might be able to carry the DD coding since it's a digital cable but I don't think the recorder will be able to record it.

8. nuphonic

nuphonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knyght_byte, wesd & Gavtech

OK I've got it now!! Thanks

Regarding
    What I was meaning is that I can select via a menu on my cable box which audio format to use (obviously if the programme supports DD). If I switch to DD then playing through the recorder I have no audio even though I have the SCART lead connected. I guess the cable box is switching off the stereo audio and only outputting audio over the digital optical cable.