Panasonic DMR-EX75 HDMI to DVI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by slowie, Aug 4, 2006.

1. slowie

slowie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have setup my new DVD recorder and tried linking the hdmi connection thru to my DVI connection on my plasma but i get an error U71.

I have a Samsung DVD player that allows this type of connection. Has anyone here tried to setup this type of link on the Panasonic?

Thanks

2. 1pudding1

1pudding1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi,

Im trying to connect my brand new ex75 to my Hyundai Q321 which only has a DVI input, using a HDMI-DVI cable. I dont get any picture though :( Should this work, as I cant see why not? Exactly what connection are needed? Also, where are these error messages seen? I havent noticed one.

Thanks.

3. 1pudding1

1pudding1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Well the problem is solved. The Q321 had a faulty DVI port that wasnt HDCP. Ive swapped it and now I get a picture. In the EX75 menus, I still cant change the output from automatic - the other options of 720p/1080i are greyed out. How am I supposed to select them? Also, at the top left and bottom left there is a little flickering bar. Its only small, but a bit annoying. Does anyone else have it or know why its there and how to remove?

Thanks.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    The EX75 will only show options that are supported by the Display device it is feeding into... so either your panel does not support those options , or there is incomplete communication between them as they are using different port standards.

5. 1pudding1

1pudding1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Ahh ok. Bit lame if the tv doesnt support them, but nevermind, still looks good and thats all that matters I guess.

6. martyp78

martyp78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi,

Thanks for the posts - I've been scratching my head about this for a bit now.

Unfortunately I've got exactly the same problem connecting a DMR-EX75 to a Philips 32PF5320/10 LCD TV via a HMDI to DVI cable. The TV definitely supports 720p and 1080i so I guess its a problem with the HDMI and DVI different port standards.

A friend of mine suggested that I might be able to get around the problem by buying a standard HDMI cable and then a separate HDMI to DVI converter to plug into the Phillips DVI-I socket. Does this sound plausible or do you think I'll just be in the same position as with my HDMI to DVI cable?

Thanks

Martin

7. matt.king@axong

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Apparently you might get menu options greyed out if you have other connections (e.g. Component). Try unplugging every but the HDMI (and power obviously).

8. martyp78

martyp78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried unplugging all the other connections but the menu was still greyed out.

The Panasonic support people have suggested that the automatic detection of which display mode the TV supports only works over a HDMI-HDMI connection and that there is no way to force the player to output a different display mode.

Which is a shame if true. Ho hum.