Panasonic DMR-EX75 HD Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dbuttigieg, Jan 4, 2007.

1. dbuttigieg

dbuttigieg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry If I'm being really thick here, but what exactly is the benefit of the HDMI output on the Panny? When I bought it together with a Panasonic HD ready plasma screen the guy in the shop told me that I would be able to benefit from the increased quality of pre-recored DVDs recorded in HD and also of digital tv broadcast in HD. However, when I have researched this further I have found that HD DVDs are only available on blu ray disks and that only Sky broadcast programs in HD and that Freeview don't.

Have I future proofed my self by buying the DMR-EX75 or is it all a sales hype?

Sorry once again if this is a really obvious question for all you home cinema experts, but as a novice it's all very confusing.

Thanks

Dave

2. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The EX75 is an upscaling player not a HD player. It Upscales SD DVD's and also SD Freeview. There are no HD DVD recorders at the moment only HDDVD and BlueRay DVD players. You were given duff info.

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    Who knows? There is not much to the end user.
    Basically that is a lie. Either through ignorance or as deliberate sales BS.
    Yes. It's hype.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. The chances are that your EX75 will be well worn out before true HD gets fully established into the mainstream in the UK.

What the industry is specifically gearing for is the advent of HD. It is not going to give it to you until it is certain that it can control what you do with the material... HDMI gives them the control they need.
    Analogue outputs will start disappearing from equipment in 2010.
    Therafter their control will be total.

4. dbuttigieg

dbuttigieg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys.

Are you able to point me in the right direction of how I should be adjusting the settings on the TV and DVD to get the best from upscaling? At the moment they are connected via an HDMI cable but the settings on both are out of the box defaults. I notice that when the DVD is turned on the TV displays EC/HDMI1 (576i) (I think that last number's right anyway!)

5. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    576P (P not I) is what I use towards my panny plasma. Both the screen and DVD recorder have very similar upscaling abilities (they may even use the same hardware). 720P looks identical to 576P, but 1080i looks slightly worse/softer because the DVD is upscalingand then the TV downscales it to its native resolution.

6. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    On my EX-75, I have set the HDMI output to 720p (User Guide page 51).

Make sure you select HDMI input from TV. When I turn on my EX-75, the TV (Panasonic) selects EC1. I have to manually change the input to HDMI. You can check the selected input by pressing the i (info) button on the TV remote.

7. zimbo000

zimbo000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Interesting... I have a reasonably new EX95 and a Panasonic plasma (TH37PX600B) that I am still 'messing around' with in terms of the 'best' settings, and getting used to the better quality.

I've set the HDMI resolution to Automatic, and it seems to always go to 1080i. Yours and the following post from lasitha imply this is "wrong/not best".

I realise that it's all ultimately about what I 'see' or how I prefer the on-screen image (e.g. the plasma vs. LCD debate), but:

1. Is 1080i to all intents 'useless' or 'unnecessary' given today's technology? I don't play games or have Sky HD, just Freeview, Sky and DVDs.

2. Could certain DVDs look better on 1080i, i.e. certain types of content, remastered films etc - or does Q1 limit/override any attempts to get 'near-HD' quality with SD material?

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,048
    Hi Zimbo000

There is not really any 'best' or right or wrong setting in regard to this issue. There are so many quality variables involved that each circumstance [ combination of display and souce machine and material ] will be different... and basically it is all fakery anyway.

The most important variable of all is which setting you find the most pleasing.

9. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I much prefer 1080i, I think it looks much sharper. Just goes to prove the point that there's no right and wrong, it's what looks best to you.