Panasonic DMR-EX75 error meassage U80

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnd427, Jul 10, 2006.

1. johnd427

johnd427
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Bought a Panasonic DMR-EX75 to-day and the unit keeps on failing with error code U80 mainly when in freeview and channel changing. I have looked in passed posts on forums and have found
    " the error indicates that there is a either that poor quality or damaged discs are being used or that the laser is failing. It is a self-diagnostic fault code, possibly requiring attention by a qualified engineer".

IS THIS A COMMON PROBLEM .

You can clear the fault with powering off the unit to stand by but the fault re-occurs .

Was this part of the ealier recall issues?

:mad:

2. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If you bought it today then dont even consider working out what the fault is, and dont accept a repair - get it changed for a working unit.

U80 sounds vaguely familiar from some of the threads on older models - hope this is not a sign that there are QC issues with the new ones...!

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    Remove any disks from the tray and see if you still get the fault code.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    The U80 faults you refer to with the previous generation Panasonic machines were always disk faults or incompatibilies [ AFAIK], not the fault of the machine.

The disk is the first thing to check in all cases.. Flaws, dirt, incompatibility. Even in known compatible disks one can expect occasional failures.

Until a disk is written everything must remain scupulously clean otherwise a failure will result.

5. johnd427

johnd427
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Spoke with Panasonic customer care line who stated that the U80 error was a internal failure of the microprocessor and nothing to do with user issues . I started to also get U81 error as well . I spoke with my supplier and they exchanged the unit without issue. I have been using the new unit to-night without problems . So I am happy and I hope it was a one off duff unit .

Cheers

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    Good news John and good result.

7. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Balls, i had that error on my machine at the weekend (i think while scroling through freeview channels) there was NO disc in the drive though!!

switched it off then back on and seems to be ok??

8. johnd427

johnd427
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bobby ,

When I was on freeview the problem started to happen. Power off switch sorted the problem first but then I had to pull out the mains for five to ten mins .The problem just got worse untill even at power up the fault occurred.

If the problem is intermittent then its something to sort out . Good luck

9. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    oh, doesn't look good doctor

will give panasonic a call tomorrow and have more of a fiddle with it, (havn't really used it much to work out any gripes it may have)

should have had patience and waited for teh Sony 910 replacement

10. cydaps

cydaps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Got one of these for Christmas. All seemed fine until suddenly a U80 error. Turned it off, all fine for a few days and then suddenly another U80 error.... this isn't looking good from what people have said. Wrote to Panny tech support so hopefully hear something back soon. Hope it's not a faulty machine. Has anyone else noticed considerable noise from the hard drive (like a constant buzz/whistle) until it goes into sleep mode? Only really noticable when there's no sound or it's quiet on the TV, but slightly annoying.... I wonder if I've ended up with an old version of the unit for some reason.... :rolleyes:

11. hifienthusiast

hifienthusiast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I only started to read this forum about 3 weeks ago when I was searching for a good reliable DVD recorder with a hard drive and freeview. It seems that there have been a few problems with various machines. Therefore, I have bought an older model with no hard drive or freeview. I am hoping that future models will be more reliable.

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    I must flag up a general point about this.

These forums are no real guide to the reliability of these devices.

Naturally this forum will attract those who have problems... and the most popular machines are statistically more likely to suffer niggles.

The majority who suffer little or no difficulty will stay silent.

A true 'stock problem' if it ever emerges will be fairly obvious ...such as the example of the power supply problem in particular Panasonic model which showed up after 12 to 18 months use.

So far those events seem to be rare.

13. CeeBeeA

CeeBeeA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two EX85's and I got error message U81 on both of them today as well as constant 'unformat' messages on four different brand new (formatted) Memorex +RW discs.
    Switching off/on again was the only way to release the discs from the machines and now they are totally unusuable as they seem to be permanently encoded as 'unformatted' no matter what I do. :(

My mate stuck them in his Toshiba and Sony machines and they worked OK. Phoned Panasonic Customer Care as I'm getting fed up with these problems and they are investigating. They will call me tomorrow.

14. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    Disk incompatibilties like this crop up regularly... not in the least helped by disk batch problems which are fairly commonplace.

And, for some reason, RW disks seem to be the cause of much trouble.

Go for disks that use the Taiyo Yuden Dyes. They have the greatest reliability and longevity... and faultless compatibility with Panasonic machines.

15. CeeBeeA

CeeBeeA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What brand name discs use Taiyo Yuden Dyes ?

I presume that Memorex are not one of them bearing in mind all the problems I've been having !

Thanks

16. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    Have a look at:

http://svp.co.uk/

... and put Taiyo Yuden in their search box near the top of the page.

That should present a variety of disks that use the TY dye ... Taiyo Yuden sell under their own brand name as well as Panasonic, Verbatim etc. .

The thing to be aware of is that disks brands can use many types of dye and change often .. so it is no good going by brand name alone. Always check out the dyemaker.
    For example , Verbatim use other dye makers too.

17. cmorossi

cmorossi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had, few months ago, the same U80 problem which disappeared after a "software update" performed by Panasonic (Italy)

18. Alan Frobisher

Alan Frobisher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect the problem is due to overheating.I have an EX75,which is fairly enclosed and an EX25,which sits on a table.The latter has only come up with U80 once,whereas the EX75 had started to show U80 quite frequently until I gave it more space.Both machines have a "Hot Spot"on the case,which is immediately above the CPU,which runs very hot.I think the CPU has inadequate heat sinking,certainly if the ambient temperature is high,the fan on the back fails or ventilation ,either to the fan or the side slots,is restricted the CPU chip's temperature shut-down mechanism will be activated.
    If U80 shows,switch the power off,leave for a few minutes(to cool down) then switch on again,it will then go through its"Boot-up"sequence and be ready for use until it over heats again!
    I am convinced that Panasonic have not built in a large enough temperature safety margin on this range of DVD Recorders.

19. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,810
    Welcome to the forum.

It is entirely feasible that this is the cause in this case but it does not follow it is the cause in all cases. The U80 is a catch-all corruption error on a particular bus, and can have innumerable actual causes.

There are warnings in the manual about maintaining good air circulation... It applies to this as to all processor based equipment.