Panasonic DMR-EX 97 Recording mode

Dcjell

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I've just purchased a DMR-EX97 and am amazed at the length of time it takes to copy a one hour recorded TV programme to a DVD-RW disc ( 90 minutes or more ). Reading the useless user manual I get the impression that it can copy at high speed if I record programmes in a different mode i:e SP. Is that correct and if so how do l change the mode ?

When timer programming you can set the recording mode at that point. It will be an option in the timer settings screen.

If manually recording, set the recording mode using the Rec Mode button on the remote to select the recording mode. ( It's next to the 'Rec' button)

The recording mode you select in either of those procedures will remain as the default recording mode thereafter - until you change it again.

Note that you also have the option of 'pre-converting' titles so that when you come to transfer them to disk they will high speed copy.

See the first post in this thread. Scroll down to the heading Using the DR Conversions System for some guidance.
That thread is about the Bluray range of recorders but the information is relevant to your machine too.

Also see page 38 of your manual for more info on file conversion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply however I can't get it to work. When I set up to record I can see and edit the channel and time settings, but when I press the Rec Mode button nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong ? Is it possible to run me through the steps one by one. Thanks

I’m the same I set it to record in lp but it doesn’t and I’m the most recording space possible even with a less quality recording

Thanks for the reply however I can't get it to work. When I set up to record I can see and edit the channel and time settings, but when I press the Rec Mode button nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong ? Is it possible to run me through the steps one by one. Thanks
Apologies - I missed your post.

Please see page 22 of your manual about the whole issue of recording mode. Also see page 38 about conversion.

Note that when you have chosen to record in a particular recording mode, this machine records the programme in DR mode first and converts it subsequently to that mode when the machine is in standby:

''This unit will record the programmes in DR mode once, and then automatically convert to the selected recording mode while this unit is in standby.''

I have no direct experience of this machine but my understanding is that if you chose a recording mode other than DR ( which I recommend anyway as it is super-efficient. - You are just as likely to make a file size bigger by choosing another mode unless it is a super compressed type)... then the recording will be made in DR mode then an automatic conversion takes place and the original DR mode version is then deleted.

That last part is the only one I am uncertain about - You may end up with two versions and have to delete the original manually.

I’m the same I set it to record in lp but it doesn’t and I’m the most recording space possible even with a less quality recording
Please see my reply to @Dcjell above.

An additional point.
You only use the rec mode button on the remote when you are doing manual recordings.

If you are setting up a timer recording... look at all the parameters in the timer screen. One of them will be the recording mode.
Take the focus to that parameter and you will be able to change it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom