Panasonic DMR-ES30 combo

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by roadtorode, Jun 30, 2005.

1. roadtorode

roadtorode
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I promised a review of this unit once I had mine up and running. Unfortunately, I hit cabling problems and so have only just got it working 'correctly'.

My first impressions are: (i) nicely made with a good remote (ii) annoyed that the only signal put out on the composite ports are from the DVD - nothing from the VCR side on this output at all ! (iii) picture quality on VCR side perhaps not as good as my old Panasonic 680 VCR (iv) DVD copies of VHS cassettes are good; noticably cleaned up from the original.

I will update this with more detail as I get a chance to use the kit.

My cabling problem was probably a common one, but I'll describe it here just in case anyone can come up with a good solution:

I am now running my SKY+ box AV1(RGB) out to the DMR-ES30 AV2(RGBin) and the only connection now to the TV is from the DMR-ES30 AV1(RGB). This goes against my best judgement as I like to avoid loop-through and have sufficient RGB-scarts on my TV to mean it can usually be avoided. However, it works.

Originally, I had tried to put both SKY+ and DMR-ES30 out on separate cables to the TV, using the respective AV>TV sockets on each device. I then linked the SKY+ AV2 to the DMR-ES30 AV2 with a third SCART and all hell broke loose. I assume this happened because both of these scarts were doing I/O, so I seemed to have a feedback loop in place. The DMR signal-out could be seen on the TV on both AV1 and AV2 unless powered-off. The sound from the DVD and VCR only emerged from the left-hand TV speaker (as if the cables were not connecte correctly or were faulty) even though the sound from the DMR-ES30 tv tuner was heard through both speakers ! In the end, I gave up and switchcd to the set-up described above, with the SKY+ looping through the DMR-ES30..... whicj reminds me, does the SKY+ box put RGB out on AV2 or just on AV1 ? :eek:

Oh, and one final lesson ! Check out all of your cabling BEFORE you squeeze the kit into its final resting place in the stack and heave the TV cabinet back into the corner... :)

2. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As the other Combo thread which covered this model, highlighted the absence of automatic chapters I would certainly be interested to know whether you have felt this to be an issue or not.

3. roadtorode

roadtorode
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a newcomer to all things "recordable DVD", I'm not yet sure how this will impact me...but I'll certainly look out for it. My main use will be (a) get the kids videos onto DVD (and I'm sure they can live without chapters!) and (b) archive the odd program from my SKY+ disk, so we shall see....

4. roadtorode

roadtorode
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I kind of get the feeling that my best option is to record on DVD-RAM and then translate to DVD-R as described in rasczac's excellent guide....looks good and I've already downloaded a trial of the software he uses in the guide...