Panasonic DMR-ES20D Suddenly Won't Record to Discs Anymore

D Page

Standard Member
Reaction score
Our Panasonic DMR-ES20D suddenly will not record to DVDs anymore. It goes into record but aborts after less than a minute, whereby the machine goes into self-check and eventually tells me to 'check the disc'. Nothing wrong with the discs. I always use Taiyo Yuden. I've tried recording using my Panasonic TY discs and my Verbatim TY discs. Same problem with both.

I did have the DVD RAM drive replaced a couple of years ago and use the machine to record fairly regularly, but not to an excessive degree.

Any help would be appreciated.

The laser may be weakening... but it is certainly worth checking for ageing capacitors on the power board.

As you know, there is a deal of similarity between the ES20 and the EH60D.

The relevant capacitors are noted in this thread

Last edited:
Thanks Gavtech.

I've since handed it over to my local Panasonic-authorised repair centre. If the DVD-RAM drive needs replacing, they've quoted me £155, for the replacement DVD-RAM drive, plus fitting. I was amazed when they got back to me and told me they can still get those drives new from Panasonic, though I'm told they no longer actually make them now, it's just the remaining stock they have left. They said that if they suspect the drive to be the cause of the problem, they will send it off to Panasonic, where they'll either send back a new replacement or repair the one I have, if the laser works properly and is within tolerance etc. If they repair the drive rather than replacing it, it won't cost as much as £155. I'll have to wait and see for now.

I've located the paperwork of when the DVD-RAM drive was last replaced. It was March 2011. Could the laser have weakened in this short amount of time?

As you know, I've replaced caps on my EH60D in the past, but if there are caps on the main board that need replacing, chances are I won't be able to replace any, as it would probably mean having to remove the main board - something I would not be willing to attempt. I'll let you know what they find wrong with it, when I hear from them, and how much it costs me!

Thanks. I'll get back to you.

I'd be somewhat suspicious of someone suggesting you need to replace the drive after such a short time. I've got an ES10 and a ES20D, both with their original 2006 drives, and both have been worked to death since the day they were bought.
And even if the laser is on the way out, I'd look on Ebay first for an old recorder to scrap for spares before coughing up service centre prices. You can pick up an ES10/20D these days for less than the price than they would charge you just to look at it.

As Gavtech has already said, the capacitors on the PSU board are the main source of problems in these recorders, and the board is neigh on identical to the EH60D you've already worked on - I listed the cap replacements for the ES10/20D in Gavtech's link above.

The only other thing is - clean the disk turntable in these recorders regularly. No idea what type of rubber Panasonic used on the disk platter, but it's slightly sticky and attracts dust and dirt like a magnet.

I got my ES20D back from the repairers a couple of weeks ago. The unit was thoroughly tested and they found that the DVD-RAM drive was at fault. It was sent off to Panasonic, who refurbished the drive before returning it to the repairers who reinstalled it back into my unit.

They told me that Panasonic told them that they no longer have stocks of this drive, and the only option open, now - for me, and any other customer in a similar position - is to have my existing drive refurbished.

The laser assembly was the only part that was replaced. The rest was working fine and didn't need replacing. Funnily enough, after the drive was reinstalled, they found that they could only get sound when scanning in the freeview channels. One of the ICs needed to be replaced, which sorted this issue out. Both picture and sound was fine when I brought it in for repair though, so slightly strange. Anyway, I wasn't charged for this IC replacement, so no worries.

I understand your caution, but I have used this Panasonic repair facility for many years, and I am confident that what they told me was wrong with it was a truthful account. I accept that you may disagree.

Last edited:
As long as you're happy with the service 'you' received, then that's all that matters. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom