Panasonic DMR-ES20D M/R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by winton, Sep 7, 2012.

1. winton

winton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This Freeview DVDR is in perfect condition EXCEPT that it now (since switchover - coincidence?) sends an impossibly fuzzy, jagged image to the TVwhich makes even DVDR set-up impossible to achieve.

I've been told that it needs a new video board. Does anyone think there's a cheaper solution? Thanks.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    There is no such thing as a 'Video board' as such.
    Was that diagnosis based on a proper examination, or is it just a guess?

Perhaps they referred to the digital board? If so that is prohibitive. Almost certainly not doing anything with such a relatively limited machine. The only realistic options being raiding a spares and repair machine.

There is a sister machine: the EH60D, which is almost identical except that machine has a hard drive also.
    Over time, capacitors fail on the power board. See this thread, which may have enough similarity to your ES20 to be useful.

Conceivably, power lines going down, caused by these failing caps could cause the symptoms you describe... unless you already know the diagnosis is cast-iron.

3. winton

winton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. It was a proper shop that diagnosed the problem though he may have said "video chip" rather than "board". He suggested "over £100" for the part, plus the labour, so I looked elsewhere. Another shop suggested that they might have the part second-hand but that didn't seem a very appealing option either.

Of course, I have no way of knowing whether the diagnosis was correct - which is why I asked for comment on AVForums. Now, you have confirmed that it's not worth repairing this machine. It's all very unsatisfactory - we have to recycle almost worthless glass jars and newspapers but are prohibited by costs from recycling expensive DVDRs.

I wonder why that is?!?

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    It is the nature, and limitation of high technology.

The chip is about £25... but 'over £100' for the job is probably right.

This will be IC3001 which is most commonly the cause of sound problems in these machines but could also fail in the way you describe, as it also processes and routes video.

This is a 100 pin chip and it takes exceptional skill to replace and the job is very risky. The chances of success, without damage are low.

This is the first time I have heard of a repairer giving the impression they may be prepared to take the job on.
    Normally such a task is not undertaken. The machine is considered a write-off.