• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMR-ES20D file playback?

geofferino

Standard Member
Hi all.

I just bought a Panasonic DMR-ES20D off eBay. I'm pretty happy with it all in all but I got to thinking, is it possible to burn discs with movie files for playback on the unit? I know there's no mention of it in the spec, but I thought that seeing as it burns multiple programmes to a disc, it may use some sort of file format to do this that I could convert movies on my computer to and burn off, as a workaround to converting them to full DVD movies?

Thanks.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi all.

I just bought a Panasonic DMR-ES20D off eBay. I'm pretty happy with it all in all but I got to thinking, is it possible to burn discs with movie files for playback on the unit? I know there's no mention of it in the spec, but I thought that seeing as it burns multiple programmes to a disc, it may use some sort of file format to do this that I could convert movies on my computer to and burn off, as a workaround to converting them to full DVD movies?

Thanks.

The ES20 does not support DivX which is the file format you mean.

Please note it is against forum rules to discuss anything which amounts to the promotion of piracy.

geofferino

Standard Member
Who said anything about piracy? I have family videos that are stored on my computer which I'd like to clear up.

Also, I'm not talking about DivX, I'm enquiring if it is a particular file format that the recorder itself uses to save video to disc (and if converting to it is achievable on a computer) or whether it is just uses a kind of DVD encoding? I am aware that there is no mention of playback of mpeg/divx/avi on the product spec but I was curious as to whether there was a workaround to write to the format that it already writes and reads itself?

Gavtech

Administrator
Who said anything about piracy? I have family videos that are stored on my computer which I'd like to clear up.

You are also familiar with using torrents.
Also, I'm not talking about DivX, I'm enquiring if it is a particular file format that the recorder itself uses to save video to disc (and if converting to it is achievable on a computer) or whether it is just uses a kind of DVD encoding? I am aware that there is no mention of playback of mpeg/divx/avi on the product spec but I was curious as to whether there was a workaround to write to the format that it already writes and reads itself?

The DVD standard is founded on MPEG2 format.

[If a DVD has video not in this format - it is not a 'DVD-Video' disc]

Raw MPEG will not play. It has to be authored into the correct DVD Video standard form.

geofferino

Standard Member
So a knowledge of torrents automatically makes me a user of pirated material? Grow up. I came on to ask an honest question, nobody mentioned piracy apart from you.

Gavtech

Administrator
So a knowledge of torrents automatically makes me a user of pirated material? Grow up. I came on to ask an honest question, nobody mentioned piracy apart from you.

...and why not trying to be more gracious yourself. We seem to have touched a nerve here.

I am answering your questions and supplying the information you want.

Tell me why I should keep on bothering.

I politely reminded you of something you just agreed to when you signed up.

You know as well as I do that these matters fall into that area.
Please re-read the rules.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom