Panasonic DMR-ES15EB cannot read disc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by timz, Sep 22, 2007.

1. timz

timz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this brand-new unit on eBay in January. I have recorded a few movies with it, and played back many DVDs. A month ago I tried to record a movie off-air. I loaded a new DVD-R disc as usual, but when I pressed 'record' the display indicated it could not read the disc. This happens now with all discs, those I previously recorded, and commercial discs. Because I have no proof of original purchase, I cannot get it repaired by Panasonic under warranty. My local repairer suggests I throw it away and buy a new cheap model - since the cost of repair (most likely a complete new laser unit) would probably be more than the £100 I paid for it. I bought Panasonic because I thought as a major brand it would be reliable - and not pack up after 6 months. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You could try a cleaning disc although that may also be a waste of effort.

I have seven Panasonic dvd recorders. They all work fine but none were purchased through eBay. It may not have been new when purchased. As you state - you have no proof. A friends Scottish granny always said, "If you buy cheap, you buy dear"
    The ES15 has no RGB. I'm inclined to agree with your local repairer. Dump it and purchase the DMR-EZ27EBS from a reputable dealer. This is the cheapest model from Panny but its a good basic machine. A recorder with a HDD would be more useful - but at a higher cost.