1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-ES10EB - wiring help please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davisa, May 22, 2005.

1. davisa

davisa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all,

I've done a search and found similar but would really appreciate specific help in connect up my new Panasonic DVD writer in my system.

Details
    TiVo - RGB out
    Neuston - RGB / Component / S-Video / composite out
    Video - composite out
    Projector - Component with progressive scan

So far I have:
    DVD -> Projector via component.
    TiVo to DVD AV1
    Neuston to DVD AV2 set to RGB
    Video to DVD front AV (occasional use).

This seems to give a really good recording from the Neuston and component output on the projector.

However, TV recording (via TiVO) is poor as DVD AV1 is only composite.

I assume I could do the following:
    TiVO to AV2 set to RGB.
    Neuston to S-video Av on back of DVD.
    I *think* this would give me much better TV/TiVo recording and slightly inferior Neuston recording than I have now but better than composite?

I also assume an alternative would be a RGB scart switcher and then put both in to AV2?

Any help very much appreciated!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Your effectively 'there' with you connections. To just confirm what you have worked out yourself:

That's correct.

Yes - a 2 into 1 scart device (like this one for example) would do this. You could then record both in RGB quality - but you would have to manually select which one you wanted to record from. If your planning to continue to use your TivO for timeshifting though I don't see why this would be a problem.

3. davisa

davisa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably go the RGB splitter route but for now I've finally got a working solution.

It took me a couple of hours hanging behind my hifi cabinet but I think I've got there in the end. It didn't help that one scart cable turned out not to be fully RGB and TiVo Video output turned out not to support RGB contrary to the manual (only the TV out does).

Anyway, now all works and quality seems excellent.

4. davisa

davisa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Further help required please ;)

I've got everything connected up and recording well from video (av1 composite), TV/TiVo (AV2 RGB) and Neuston (AV4 s-video).

I'm using the composite, s-video and component outs to compare them.

Composite is obviously the worst by miles so we'll ignore that one.

S-video looks great from any source. I assume this is interlaced as there is no menu setting to switch progressive scan on/off, except for AV1 and I'm not using that for output, but using the dedicated s-video out.

Component (again using the dedicated component outs not AV1) looks very similar to s-video if progressive scan is switched off. When progressive scan is switched on it looks significantly more washed out and fairly blurred. Very disappointing. I am using cheap component cables however, just to test the set-up, but that doesn't explain the difference between progressive scan settings does it?

My projector is a Sanyo Z1. Is it just bad at doing progressive scan so should I just use s-video? I assume the AV1 options in the menu's aren't needed in my setup as I'm using AV1 for input?

As before, I'm seeking advice as I was expecting to be blown away by a progressive scan component fed image - and find s-video interlaced looks far far better.