Panasonic DMR-ES10 Set up Problem!?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The Prodigal, Jun 8, 2005.

1. The Prodigal

The Prodigal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just bought a Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD Recorder (after reading many favourable reviews/comments on this forum) and I'm having problems now that I've connected it to my TV (Toshiba 36ZP48) and Pace Sky Digibox. After instruction from the salesman I've connected it as follows:-

PGV332 Component Video Cable from Recorders Comp Vid Out sockets to TV's Comp Vid In sockets.
    Red/White Audio lead from Recorders red/white Audio Out sockets (Recorder also has Audio AV4 In sockets, not sure if supposed to be connected to these instead?) to TV's Ext Fixed Audio sockets (TV also has Ext 4 sockets, again not sure if should be connected here instead?).
    QED P2110 Sqart to Sqart cable from Recorders AV2 (Ext) scart socket to Sky Digibox's VCR scart socket.
    RF coaxial lead from Recorders RF Out socket to TV's RF In socket.
    External TV aerial to Recorders RF In socket.

The problems I had were:-

TV - Terrestrial channels fine. Picture but no sound/colour from Sky (on Ext 4).
    Recorder - Picture but no sound/colour for terrestrial. Same for Sky (on AV2).
    If Recorder in standby mode, no picture at all on TV's Ext 4.

Rang the salesman, who advised me to run a scart lead from Sky Digibox's TV scart socket to scart socket on TV (I used Ext 1). I now have on the TV (via Ext 1) a picture/sound/colour for Sky but I also still have the aforementioned problems.

Can anyone help so that I can watch Sky/terrestrial via the Recorder with picture, sound and colour, or is this just not possible? (as I assume best Sky picture quality will be from the Recorder not TV's Ext 1)
    If it is possible, will I still be able to record from Sky? (which is the main reason I bought a DVD Recorder!)

Any help greatly appreciated,

2. The Prodigal

The Prodigal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone....? :confused:

3. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I connect as foll (using scart cables):

sky (tv out) to dvr (av2)
    dvr (av1) to tv (av2)
    sky (vcr out) to tv (av1)

sky:
    picture settings/video output - rgb

dvr:
    av1 output - rgb
    av2 input - rgb
    av2 connection - normal
    ext link - ext link 1

I don't use RF connections since PQ is not as sharp.

4. The Prodigal

The Prodigal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info ben223, I'll give that a try. :thumbsup:

Sounds a whole lot simpler than the set up I'd been advised on!

However, is there no simple (and beneficial!) way of incorporating the 'component video cable & audio lead' option into the equation? As I thought this produced better picture/sound quality than even a fully wired RGB scart cable? I may be mistaken, so if anyone can clarify please....?

At the end of the day, all I want to be able to do is record off Sky and (if poss?) view Sky without having to have the Recorder switched on to do so.

Thanks,

5. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the above set-up, Prod, you'll certainly be able to do what you require.

As for comp. cable connex, perhaps someone else will be able to guide you.

6. The Prodigal

The Prodigal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again ben223. :smashin:

Short term I'll go with your set up and hope long term that someone can clarify which connex is better and if it's possible to easily incorporate into set up. :rolleyes:

I've trawled through different forums but can't find an answer. Infact, I've spent more time on this site than I have actually watchin my TV! :suicide:

So again, anyone with anythin that'll help.....?