Panasonic DMR-ES10 Finalized DVD Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by deraven, May 26, 2005.

1. deraven

deraven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a lot of research lately into purchasing a DVD Recorder to transfer a lot of our company's training materials from VHS to DVD (as well as a few other secondary uses) and think the Panasonic DMR-ES10 will work nicely for us. One thing I haven't been able to find much information on is what the finished DVDs look like. That is, do they have any menu when the finalized DVD is placed into a player, or does it just jump into the first title/chapter, etc.? If you've recorded more than 1 show/segment onto a disk I assume they'll be on the DVD in separate titles, so is the initial DVD menu just the thumbnail images you select along with the name you've given each of the recordings, or ?

If any DMR-ES10 owners could describe that in a little detail or, better yet, post a screen grab or two that'd be excellent! Thanks!

2. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I've only had my ES10 for a week or so, and only archived a few VHS tapes to DVD-R. But from what I can remember when you finalize the disk you can choose for the menu (with the program thumbnails) to be displayed, or you can choose for it to start playing a title (as I have only put one title on a disk I can't say whether you can choose what title it starts playing).

3. deraven

deraven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I suppose that would make sense.

Anyone out there able to post a screen cap of what the menu looks like?

Thanks for the replies!

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    If it's like the previous Panasonic offereings then the menus look pretty poor.
    No chapter thumbnails, just title thumbnails and even blank ones if yoy have just one title recorded !

For your 'precious' stuff you're better off authoring on a PC where your options are MUCH more.

5. seewolfe

seewolfe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    difficult to grab a quick screen grab as all that is shown is a black box.

However, I got my new ES10 this week and it does give you a basic 'menu' screen with thumbnails of each title as you said. However, I have only tried it on DVD-R so it might be better on RAM

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you plan to put one whole tape per disc,then this job is best suited to the EH50 with its HDD that makes it much easier

7. deraven

deraven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. I was kinda curious as to how it'd work with no HDD if I was going to put, say, 5 30 minute segments on 1 DVD. Has anyone here done that? Can it be done on the ES10, or is it not even something the machine can accomplish without a lot of pain?

How is the EH50 as an overall unit compared to ES10? I'd certainly consider it if it's still a solid performer, and I could certainly see the advantage of just recording a bunch of segments to the HD and then off to DVD. Can you, for example, just select a number of clips you have recorded on the HD and tell the unit to record them all to DVD with the Flex Recording feature?

Thanks for all the good feeback!