PANASONIC DMR-ES10 and DVD+R blank discs.

violin45

Standard Member
I have a panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder.

I have had a problem for ages that when I use a DVD+R when recording I can never trust it to finish to the end without it going into self-check, which ultimately ruins the DVD and content.

As I never have any problems like this when using the DVD-RW I then thought to try a DVD-R disc, and hey presto, no problems at all.

Would this be something internal perhaps that it just does not like +R discs?

I am sure it says on the front that it accepts +Rs.

It says on the front -

DVD RECORDING
DVD-RAM/DVD-R/DVD-RW/+R

Is this saying that it does not accept DVD+R

On looking at that carefully it lookslike that is the case.

BTW, I gave up on using DVD-RAM discs as they recorded fine, but on playback you would get the odd jump now and again.

Any advice please on the DVD+R front.

Gavtech

Administrator
I can see a few possibilities here.

Either it is simply that you have a suspect batch of +R discs... Maybe that is too simple - but it can happen.

Or.. It is noteworthy that +R disks have different error management, speed and tracking, and session linking control systems to all the other disc types mentioned. Perhaps there is something about one of these processes that proves too critical for your system in it's current status.

Perhaps the is a piece of corruption in the control system. A power reset would clean that out.

violin45

Standard Member
Hi Gavtec,

Thank you for your kind reply,

I have had this problem with various +R discs, so we can rule out a faulty batch.

When you mention a power reset, are you referring to switching the unit off at the mains? if so I have tried that too in the past.

You see this problem does not happen all the time, but I can never take the chance because if I am recording something of importance then it could easily be ruined because of this self check when recording.

I really do believe that as long as I use -R or -R RW then I wont have this problem.

What I really need to purchase however is a recorder with a hard drive, would you like me to start a new post asking the recommendation for this, or can this be started here?

I am new here so I want to do things correctly.

Happy New Year.

Gavtech

Administrator
When you mention a power reset, are you referring to switching the unit off at the mains? if so I have tried that too in the past.

Yes - I did mean that - So it seems that possibility can be ruled out.
You see this problem does not happen all the time, but I can never take the chance because if I am recording something of importance then it could easily be ruined because of this self check when recording.

I really do believe that as long as I use -R or -R RW then I wont have this problem.

What I really need to purchase however is a recorder with a hard drive, would you like me to start a new post asking the recommendation for this, or can this be started here?

I am new here so I want to do things correctly.

... and welcome to the forum. I had failed to spot it was your first post.

It is up to you really. You will probably get more hits if you start a new thread with an appropriate header.

To get the ball rolling:

Getting a unit with a hard drive is a great idea.
They are so much more convenient and flexible in comparison to a DVD drive only unit.

Assuming you want the best available, you have basically 2 or 3 choices.
Go for units made by Panasonic , Sony or Pioneer.
Note that the current Sony and Pioneer models are clones of each other so your choice is basically two.

The common models are Panasonic EX77 and Sony 870.

The Panasonic range has two models - Bigger hard drive in the EX87

Some range info here: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/dvd-recorders/index.htm

The Sony range has four hard drive sizes. 770/ 870/ 970/ 1070... bigger number = bigger drive.

Both ranges support all disc types except the Sony's can only read RAM's - not write to them.

violin45

Standard Member
Gavtech,

Thank you, your help is enough for me and I wont need to start a new thread.

Thank you again.....

:)

violin45

Standard Member
I had been told to go for a model that has the digital tick mark, so it will be compatible when the digital switchover takes place in the future.

Is this the case as I could not see anything relating to this on that Panasonic website.

ramjet

Banned
if you are in the uk in a freeview area then yes its better to get a freeview recorder or one with both analogue and digital tuners

in my case I bought the sony 970b and its that good I am waiting for my second one from the sales last week :)

Gavtech

Administrator
No worries there.

But just a point - If you were looking at the Panasonic models - They ONLY have digital tuners... so you need to be in an area that can receive Freeview already.

If you are in an area that is still analogue only and will change to digital later - then look at the Sony models because they have an analogue tuner as well as a digital tuner.

violin45

Standard Member
I am in the UK.

At the moment I get my TV pictures on analogue group B
aerial, I believe I am in a freeview area.

Am I right in thinking that only until I move to digital TV, I will only be able to use the analogue tuners?

So it looks like it's a good idea to go for one with both Analogue and Digital tuners, I might just go for the sony 970b, and I wondered how much this cost you ramjet?

Gavtech

Administrator
I am in the UK.

At the moment I get my TV pictures on analogue group B
aerial, I believe I am in a freeview area.

Check for certain using this postcode checker:
http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html
Am I right in thinking that only until I move to digital TV, I will only be able to use the analogue tuners?

You can use either or both or be solely digital. It depends entirely what can be received at your locality - which is the most important thing you need to establish first.

Note that there is no such thing as a digital or analogue aerial. They are all just aerials. The group of itself can tell you nothing about Freeview receptability. It will depend on what broadcasting arrangements are planned for your area. [ Send me you postcode by PM if you like and I will look into it ]
One thing you can note is whether the elements on your aerial are vertical or horizontal. This can indicate whether you are receiving currently from a main or relay transmitter.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom