Panasonic DMR ES-15 DVD Recorder

tenbee2

Standard Member
Hi,
I'm looking for a first buy budget priced DVD recorder which will record from a SKY+ box and from a Canon UC-V200 non-digital camcorder. The Panasonic DMR ES-15 has had good review in What Hi-Fi May 06 edition, but some Forum comments appear to advise caution regarding suitable connections to the SKY+ box. Advice welcomed please on whether I should look at more suitable budget models and whether I need to increase my current target expenditure of c£170. Thanks for any guidance.

silps

Standard Member
Take a look at the Panasonic DMR ES-10 which Argos have on clearance at £89.99. It has RGB in on the scart socket so you can get the best quality when recording from Sky. The ES-15 replaced this model but if I remember correctly the ES15 doesn't have RGB in on the scart but has a Firwire in for Digital camcorders. (Might be wrong on the ES-15 RGB so double check).

Also the ES-10 has normal and S-VHS inputs at the front for your camcorder.

Also I think Argos have the ES-20 (digital freeview decoder) for about £169.99.

thewul

the dmr-es15 has not got rgb in for record, this means that when recording from your sky+ box the best quality you can record will be svideo.
this is a serious error on panasonics behalf imho i cant understand the point of only being able to record svideo or worse but having the ability to output rgb or component.

tenbee2

Standard Member
Thanks all,

I found an ES 10 at Argos Oxford - Botley Road branch - for £89-99, but I've had to give up its reservation because my recently broken ankle prohibits me from getting there in time !

I'm now going to take more time over my choice of recorder as Forums members suggest possible restrictions and, inevitability, it's going to be facilities v budget. My earlier enquiries to Panasonic did indicate some quality loss recording from SKY+ for their ES 15 model, but as an aging geriatric the question is - Would I notice ?

For a newbie, it's quite confusing !

silps

Standard Member
I don't think you probably would notice the slight reduction in quality. When I watch vhs recordings in short play I don't notice them being really poor compared to DVD recordings. There is a difference but it doesn't spoil my viewing pleasure. Everything is in context, before DVD most people were happy with VHS.

Top Bottom